Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Guess what?

Curious on this one.

The "American Dream" allows a working stiff to work hard, prosper and get ahead. But the system seems to need a class of people who work hard for low pay. That used to be european immigrants right off the boat, hardest working people are always those right of the boat, they want a better life for their kids than what they had. Their kids remember that, but by the time you get to the grandchildren they seem to forget.

I think you got wetbacks and outsourcing doing all the work that the grandchildren will not do
    You know, I almost let this one slip by. Canada has near the standard of living the US has. Isn't there a "Canadian dream" that is similar to ours, here in the States? What about Canadian grand children? Do they want to do the dirty work? I don't suppose Canada has immigration problems as well.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but it appears that Canada gets a free pass and the US always plays the "bad guy".
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

heck , if we didn't get Canadian cold fronts that turn me blue, I'd like to go there

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    lets see, my grandmother got off the boat from Scicily around 1915. I believe you are confused
    It is impossible to be more confused than you, ac.
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

you're the lucky one, you get to wittness pure genuis

heck , if we didn't get Canadian cold fronts that turn me blue, I'd like to go there
    Hey ace, I didn't know that Italians lived that far south. Shouldn't you be living in Jersey?
    -Abraham Lincoln

you're the lucky one, you get to wittness pure genuis
    Not to mention, poor grammer and spelling.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by whec720 View Post
    Not to mention, poor grammer and spelling.
    I type with an accent. besides , what does either have to do with anything in particular?

Capitalism requires someone that can be capitalized upon. The real way to make capitalism work is to invest in the newest and best sectors not the catch phrases like global warming and green energy. Don't get me wrong it's great to reduce energy usage but don't think reducing anything is going to create jobs. Mfg's don't streamline to create more jobs, they might create new ones but you can rest assured the net effect will be less jobs overall. Why do we need to make computers or TV's here? They can be made much cheaper with cheaper labor and then every American can afford one, you know like flat screens and such... America should stay on the cutting edge of every market and that isn't done by having bureaucrats dictate what can and should be made but by letting millions upon millions of people try their great new ideas and inventions and let the world decide if they're useful or not. Capitalism brings everyone up and free trade helps everyone enjoy those newest and best ideas. Computers are a perfect example. They increase in power, memory and technology exponentially but are somehow staying somewhat affordable so that everyone can have them or practically everyone. That doesn't mean everyone will be rich but it means you at least have an opportunity to try.. Capitalism requires someone to be capitalized upon. The only way to make that system work is to give those people that get capitalized upon somewhat of a safety net. that doesn't mean give them freebies so they're content but a means to at least survive and hopefully they'll catch on to hard work which helps them advance in their lifestyle and careers. Foreigners understand this of our system but for some reason Americans have become complacent with our system and have lost that magic touch it had that brought forth the industrial revolution, the electronic revolution and now the information revolution.

The open society, the unrestricted access to knowledge, the unplanned and uninhibited association of men for its furtherance - these are what may make a vast, complex, ever growing, ever changing, ever more specialized and expert technological world, nevertheless a world of human community.
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer

I type with an accent. besides , what does either have to do with anything in particular?
    What points do you disagree with? Or do we just keep firing one liners at each other?
    -Abraham Lincoln

You know, I almost let this one slip by. Canada has near the standard of living the US has. Isn't there a "Canadian dream" that is similar to ours, here in the States? What about Canadian grand children? Do they want to do the dirty work? I don't suppose Canada has immigration problems as well.
    Not trying to be a jerk, but it appears that Canada gets a free pass and the US always plays the "bad guy".
    Lol "near"

If you go back and read the one 'you almost let slip by' you will see that I refered to Mulroney - Canadian Prime Minister as well as Regean. I guess my poetic license saying "American Dream" was taken as meaning 'only in America' , sorry was not my intention

There used to be a joke, what is 15 inches long and dangles from Regean's ass, and the punch line was Mulroney's neck tie. I voted for the guy.

The story applies to both sides of the 49th, just less wet backs in Canada I suppose. Must be due to the 'low standard of living'

No one wants to do the shiate jobs, but someone has to

Immigrants built the railroad systems in both countries, used to be some dirt cheap labour picking cotton.
    Last edited by Carnak; 09-10-2009 at 11:13 AM.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

What points do you disagree with? Or do we just keep firing one liners at each other?
    I really don't disagree with much, I like to stoke the fire and keep everyone warm. as for the one liners, you got anything better to do?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Capitalism requires someone that can be capitalized upon. The real way to make capitalism work is to invest in the newest and best sectors not the catch phrases like global warming and green energy. Don't get me wrong it's great to reduce energy usage but don't think reducing anything is going to create jobs. Mfg's don't streamline to create more jobs, they might create new ones but you can rest assured the net effect will be less jobs overall. Why do we need to make computers or TV's here? They can be made much cheaper with cheaper labor and then every American can afford one, you know like flat screens and such... America should stay on the cutting edge of every market and that isn't done by having bureaucrats dictate what can and should be made but by letting millions upon millions of people try their great new ideas and inventions and let the world decide if they're useful or not. Capitalism brings everyone up and free trade helps everyone enjoy those newest and best ideas. Computers are a perfect example. They increase in power, memory and technology exponentially but are somehow staying somewhat affordable so that everyone can have them or practically everyone. That doesn't mean everyone will be rich but it means you at least have an opportunity to try.. Capitalism requires someone to be capitalized upon. The only way to make that system work is to give those people that get capitalized upon somewhat of a safety net. that doesn't mean give them freebies so they're content but a means to at least survive and hopefully they'll catch on to hard work which helps them advance in their lifestyle and careers. Foreigners understand this of our system but for some reason Americans have become complacent with our system and have lost that magic touch it had that brought forth the industrial revolution, the electronic revolution and now the information revolution.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer
    Agree with many of your points, bigjon. However, it is important for a nation to be self sufficient. That means making things, even TVs and computers. Otherwise, you'll be bent over the barrel and at the mercy other other nations that do.
    All in all, globalization is a lie. It goes against human instinct, much like communism.
    -Abraham Lincoln

I really don't disagree with much, I like to stoke the fire and keep everyone warm. as for the one liners, you got anything better to do?
    Sure. Lets talk about NAFTA, globalization, the affects of these policies, for starters.

Make a statement. Everybody here has centralized heat.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast