Do I need new refrigerant lines and thermostat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I need new refrigerant lines and thermostat

I am taking bids on a new furnace and AC. The old system works fine but is 22 years old. Looking at a Trane XR13 and XR95. I will be switching from R22 to the new enviromentaly friendly refrigerant. One contractor says my old lines are fine and we can reuse them. Is there any special purging that has to be done?

Also, I have a modern programmable thermostat. Is there any benefit to buying the thermostat which comes with the system?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I am taking bids on a new furnace and AC. The old system works fine but is 22 years old. Looking at a Trane XR13 and XR95. I will be switching from R22 to the new enviromentaly friendly refrigerant. One contractor says my old lines are fine and we can reuse them. Is there any special purging that has to be done?

Also, I have a modern programmable thermostat. Is there any benefit to buying the thermostat which comes with the system?

Thanks.
    i wouldnt use a contractor who suggests using the old r22 lines with the new R410a refrigerant. ive heard of special "pursging" solutions for the old lines but wouldnt trust it at all, especially when your about to spend a lot of money for a new system!

New Copper

I would say without any hesitation at all to make sure that your contractor installs a new copper line set to your system. R-22 uses a completely different oil to lubricate the compressor than 410a does. These oils are not compatible.

If you want to ruin your new system as quickly as possible - then don't change the line set.

Any contractor who would recommend not changing the line set when going from R22 to R410a should be arrested or shot or both.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

If it was easy to replace and access every lineset, it would be replaced much more often. Many systems are installed using old, correct size lines and work just fine, assuming proper procedures are followed with purging/flushing the lines. If easily done, I would say replace the lineset; but if it would be difficult to access or replace, I would not have any issues reusing if done properly.

We always replace all components when installing a new system. Linesets can be reused but not recommended. There is not big savings reusing an old tstat , it would not be covered under warranty with the new system
    Last edited by jwiehagen76; 09-05-2009 at 10:04 PM.
    "Can't see it from my house"

Being a holiday weekend, some of the pros will not be about. The real answer is, it depends. If the lines are properly sized, they can be purged. The right method, and that of brazing new equipment to them has been defined in many threads here. Some lines are not that easy to replace, so spending the time to purge them is done. A true cost/benefit analysis is hard to do here because of the no prices rule. But properly purging has it's cost in chemicals and professional labor. Some contractors just want everything new because they have to warrant everything. If the lines can be easily replaced, I would not try to save money by not doing so.

If you really want good answers, give as much information as possible. Including: The size, brand and model numbers of both the new and replacement components. And how the current lines are run.

Most single home residential linesets are easy to change out. The only time I recommend keeping existing line set is if it's the right size and not practical to change, like having to cut out walls or floor to accomplish. They should be flushed/purged to clean and get rid of any residue. If the t-stat is compatible with new system and your happy with it I don't see any problem with keeping it, what does contractor say.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome!

Using old line sets is not recommended on a new R-410a system UNLESS it involves some difficult routing issues. If old line sets are used, they must be flushed and purged of old oil in system. They must also be sized correctly for the application being installed. New line sets are clean already but sometimes it is not practical if it involved some issues in how they are run through the space. The comment made about contractors "being arrested, or shot, or both," is just ignorant. It can be done PROPERLY providing flushing and purging is done completely and correctly. The homeowner must be notified BEFOREHAND of the issues involved, the homeowner has the final say, but it is not recommended. As stated, some contractors will not warrant old linesets. If the money involved to buy a new modern system is spent, do it alll correctly the first time.

As far as T-stat is concerned, keep what you buy and use it. It is new and, if it does what the old one did (programmable), there would not be any problems. You will have a spare if you ever needed to have it replaced
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Any contractor who would recommend not changing the line set when going from R22 to R410a should be arrested or shot or both.
    for God's sake

get a grip on life man

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    If it was easy to replace and access every lineset, it would be replaced much more often. Many systems are installed using old, correct size lines and work just fine, assuming proper procedures are followed with purging/flushing the lines. If easily done, I would say replace the lineset; but if it would be difficult to access or replace, I would not have any issues reusing if done properly.
    Exactly!!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    for God's sake

get a grip on life man

Exactly ,again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    for God's sake

get a grip on life man

Don't take everything you read on the internet literally. I was trying to make a point.

The OP never said the the contractor ever intended to purge the existing line set. Just asked if it any purging needs to be done.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    I would say without any hesitation at all to make sure that your contractor installs a new copper line set to your system. R-22 uses a completely different oil to lubricate the compressor than 410a does. These oils are not compatible.

If you want to ruin your new system as quickly as possible - then don't change the line set.

Some how I didn't get that from this post!

Must be my bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast