New Condenser with Old Coil Conundrum

We have established that I need an additional .5 ton of cooling for my upstairs attic space (finally found someone to help with Man J).

I currently have a 12 seer 1.5 ton condenser with a 2 ton coil, both are about 5 years old. The contractor I like the best says I should replace both condenser and coil with 2 ton 13 seer unit, and he's probably right. But could I keep my current 2 ton coil, right size piston, and use a new 13 seer 2 ton condenser and have a system that will last and cool just about as well? Thanks

Got a model # of the indoor coil?

I am out of town right now; I can get the model number when I get back. I do know that it is ADP coil.

Also, is this gas heat, electric heat, or a heat pump system? gas heat or elect. heat will probably work fine with a piston change. A heat pump system will need an expansion valve installed and even with this, the indoor coil may not handle the extra freon that most 13 SEER units have (usually 12 SEER amount of freon multiplied by about 2)

Very possible that your ADP coil would be rated with a current 13 SEER. Of course, could be too small as well. Get us the model # when you can.

So, the number on the side is ADP TA02224c145b160559. Gas heat furnace.

Alot of manufactures will not honor warranty (god forbid) new compressor goes out, it is mechanical, if you don't have correct coil they have asked me for model and serial#'s off coil to warranty new compressor.

I couldn't get any AHRI matches to come up. That's an awfully small coil to be used with a 13 SEER and work well.