Trane XV95 vs York Affinity YC9

Hello, I am a complete newbie, so I apologize in advance if I am not providing all information necessary for this comparison.

I need to replace the furnace in my 3450sqft home in Seattle, WA. I was quoted two models:

Trane XV95 http://www.trane.com/residential/pro.../XV95-Furnaces

York Affinity YC9 http://www.yorkupg.com/homeowners/co...sp?fldProdID=8

Comparing the total cost, the York is 20% cheaper. I don't know why because supposedly the York is more efficient than the Trane. Could you shed some light on this? Which one is the best option in your opinion?

Thank you very much,
    Emerson

Either one is fine. Pick the better contractor.

Service after the sale means far more then the name on the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thank you, beenthere.

Your comment made me realize that I should have said that the contractor is the same one. He gave me two options. I really just would like to have an equipment comparison.

Is it worth to pay 20% more for the Trane? Why? Or, in other words, is the York as good as the Trane and I will save money by going with the York?

Thanks again,
    Emerson

The question is: Is the Trane as good as the York?

I'm bias toward York.

So my opinion on brand doesn't count.

But, the York has more steps of modulatio, so it will provide better comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The Yorkie with modulation will give more comfort than the 2 stage Trane, especially if the Trane dealer doesn't install a 2 stage stat. Trane's Modulating machine is coming in the future.

Trane XV95 vs York Affinity YC9 Follow up question

I have two follow up questions regarding the York Affinity:

1 - Do I need a new thermostat? My old one is a 1-stage one. One contractor says that to truly gain the efficiency benefit of multi-staged heating (modulating) - for greater reduction in my gas use - the t-stat should be replaced with a muilt-stage thermostat. The other contractor says it is not necessary because the furnace is capable of modulating itself.

2 - Do I need a model with 80,000 or 100,000 btus? As I mentioned, my home is 3450sq ft and it has 20 vents. Again, one contractor says 80,000, the other says 100,000.

Thank you for your help!
    Emerson

The heating requirements for your home is dependant upon your home and not the "best guess average" of multiple contractors. You could "get away with" increasing the size when using the YP9C, but do you really want a contractor to guess? Have them do a manual J and prove that the size is correct.

As for the stat..... With the XV95, you do need a new one because it's a 2 stage, but the YP9C will use the single stage just fine, provididng that you are happy with your existing stat.

Efficiencies are really comparable - York is 97.5% and the Trane is 96.7% so the York will buy you a couple of beers over the year. I could be wrong by a point or so - check my numbers at AHRI.com.

The York will give you better comfort in the home due to the modulating gas valve and variable speed fan motor - it modulates in 1% increments from 35 to 100% effectively giving you 65 stages of heat. The Trane has the variable speed fan, but only 2 stages of heat. Side by side, the York is a little quieter, but they're both pretty quiet anyway.

I have installed and serviced both brands for a pretty long while now, and honestly the choice is yours. If it was me, well, it's hard to stop a trane but it's easy to derail one. I would go with the York, but I have to be honest, I'm a York dealer. Besides, I feel they're a better furnace, and easier to install at only 33" tall.