McQuay / Thieves / Mucho work
This one is from last summer. We get a call a week before school starts - "Thieves stole our a/c piping, can you give us a price to replace it?" It turns out we were the only ones to respond.
One look at this sign and we should have run.
This is what we found. Hot gas and liquid lines are broken off at the building and the condenser headers are gone. FWIW, this is a McQuay 220 ton air cooled condenser.
First, the coil had to be supported and then we chopped, sawed, hacked the tubes down to the tube sheet.
Then we removed the tube sheets (which also support the condenser fans) and peeled away enough fins to work with the tubes. The new hot gas headers are almost done.
This is pretty much what we ended up with.
Last edited by DaveCR; 09-03-2009 at 11:56 PM.
UA LU 562
wow seems like alot of work looks good
Not criticizing your work,which is very nice,but was replacing the whole condenser an option?
I love overtime I just hate working for it.
Yea, that thing looks a bit on the ancient side
a 220 ton condenser is probably worth fixing, even to that extent
houtonjr - thanks
sirjames - thanks. Fixing it was the only real option as a new condenser that would fit on the pad (and inside the brick walls) was 8 to 10 weeks lead time - they would have been out of the cooling season by then.
BaldLoonie - the condenser was seven years old at the time.
cody350 - yep
UA LU 562
I think you guys did a great job!! I likes to braze all that stuff- fun
So did you have to unbraze all that new piping to get the tube sheet back on?
Seriously, I'm curious to see how the finished product came out... Did you have new stainless tube sheets and panels made up?
Nice work, well done. I bet the customer was happy, too.
papa jo - thanks.
BergerMech Rob - thanks. McQuay didn't swage the tubes in the tube sheet. I believe "floating tube sheet" is the jargon. That end of the coil is now supported from below by the uni-strut seen in the last three pictures. We had our shop shear the original tube sheets and put a 90° bend the on the bottom to stiffen the sheet. The sheets were needed to support the condenser fans.
For some reason we didn't snap a pic of the finished product. The photos were taken at the end of each day to verify the work in progress. We were afraid the thieves might hit us before the work was complete and payment would become an issue.
I don't know about the bookkeepers, but the teachers were estatic.
UA LU 562
those sorts of repair jobs you remember over the years. Great Job. The only think is the drop leg outlet. That should street 90 down right out of the manifold.