Techs Techs Techs where are the Techs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 38
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,321
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    Be very careful with that one because there are many generalizations about race, religion, and nationality that can get you in big trouble.
    Yes.

    Fortunately for all involved, I do not make employment decisions.

    I was offering an opinion and my experiences as one of the "go-to" technicians for my company.

    The behavior that I have seen and the DRAMA, for lack of a better term, that comes from so many young techs is amazing.

    If we could get them to get their heads out of their pants and on their job for half an hour at a time, it was a good day.

    Personally, if I had ANY input into the hiring process, I would look for EXACTLY what the OP was looking for. A little bit 'older' guy. One who is more mature and knows what it required to get the job done.

    I wouldn't be likely to gamble on a young guy, and if I did take that gamble, he would be on a VERY short leash until he proved himself to be reliable.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    how often do you get lucky when your that old and still single. I am not being sarcastic or funny. I really wonder stuff like that.
    There are lots of single MILF's out there.
    I don't look my age either which helps.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Several Miles from Sane
    Posts
    1,456
    Sound like the guy is/was a "Replaceman" not a "Repairman".

    Unfortunately I have to agree in part with the "generalization", however I will qualify it with personal experience. Most of the people I have had the, ever so short , time working with under the age of 30 are (of coures there are/have been exceptions) not as stable as the people over 30. 30 is simply a convienent age to use as a cutoff but it seems to hold true over and over.

    I can only recall having seen about a dozen techs, over that last 5 years, truly working in the field for more than a few months. Of those most are still at it after 2-3 years.
    JMO
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

    All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Sound like the guy is/was a "Replaceman" not a "Repairman".

    Unfortunately I have to agree in part with the "generalization", however I will qualify it with personal experience. Most of the people I have had the, ever so short , time working with under the age of 30 are (of coures there are/have been exceptions) not as stable as the people over 30. 30 is simply a convienent age to use as a cutoff but it seems to hold true over and over.

    I can only recall having seen about a dozen techs, over that last 5 years, truly working in the field for more than a few months. Of those most are still at it after 2-3 years.
    JMO
    The problem with many of these "Stable" people is that they usually have a wife and/or children which they are usually in a hurry to go see or drive to soccer or football practice etc.
    There are also wives or girlfriends who sometimes don't understand that X, Y, or Z needs to be up and running before the day is done.
    There can sometimes be a lot of friction due to these things.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,321
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    The problem with many of these "Stable" people is that they usually have a wife and/or children which they are usually in a hurry to go see or drive to soccer or football practice etc.
    There are also wives or girlfriends who sometimes don't understand that X, Y, or Z needs to be up and running before the day is done.
    There can sometimes be a lot of friction due to these things.
    I know. I live it.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    In answer to the original question.

    They are working. Working hard, and quietly going about their jobs and striving to be the best that they can be.

    In times like these, those with stable employment aren't looking to jump around. They are keeping busy and keeping roofs over their heads and food on their tables.
    Bingo! I couldn't have said it better myself.

    I read a thread yesterday about how a guy here refused to hire smokers, something about the impression it gives his customers or some BS, he said due to the economy being in the dumps he can afford to fire guys for smoking on the job as he has many applicants a week looking for work... I got bad news for that guy, good techs don't move from good companies, we are anchored, you will only be picking up the fat that other companies just trimmed in these tough times.

    My company (a great company) has laid off 15 or so techs in the last 3mo, they were all POS except one. Enjoy hiring any of them that come looking for work.
    UA LU189

    10mm, because it's better than .45acp

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,321
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Bingo! I couldn't have said it better myself.

    I read a thread yesterday about how a guy here refused to hire smokers, something about the impression it gives his customers or some BS, he said due to the economy being in the dumps he can afford to fire guys for smoking on the job as he has many applicants a week looking for work... I got bad news for that guy, good techs don't move from good companies, we are anchored, you will only be picking up the fat that other companies just trimmed in these tough times.

    My company (a great company) has laid off 15 or so techs in the last 3mo, they were all POS except one. Enjoy hiring any of them that come looking for work.
    We called it 'trimming dead wood'

    It was a bit longer ago than that, but we laid off a few guys, too.

    No real losses for us, except for, as you said, maybe one guy.

    Another company picked them up. One is already back on the bench. Less than 6 months.

    Those are your 'Top Quality' techs right there...

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    We called it 'trimming dead wood'
    One is already back on the bench. Less than 6 months.

    Those are your 'Top Quality' techs right there...
    One that was a 10-3 kind of guy has already been fired from two other jobs in two months. He was a legend in his own mind.

    If you want a quality tech you need to find them and steal them away from another company by offering them more than what they are currently getting, period, end of story.
    UA LU189

    10mm, because it's better than .45acp

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    One that was a 10-3 kind of guy has already been fired from two other jobs in two months. He was a legend in his own mind.

    If you want a quality tech you need to find them and steal them away from another company by offering them more than what they are currently getting, period, end of story.
    It's not always about money.
    Quality of life plays a much bigger part the older you get.
    Where I work weekend emergencies only happen a couple of times a year which is tolerable.
    I spend many weekends away during the racing season so that's important to me.
    4 weeks a year holiday is also a nice touch plus a week between Christmas and New Years Day off except for the odd emergency.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,321
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    It's not always about money.
    Quality of life plays a much bigger part the older you get.
    Where I work weekend emergencies only happen a couple of times a year which is tolerable.
    I spend many weekends away during the racing season so that's important to me.
    4 weeks a year holiday is also a nice touch plus a week between Christmas and New Years Day off except for the odd emergency.
    This is true.

    Right now, money is a pretty big thing for me, but I doubt that another company could lure me away because I have a very stable job, which is even more important to me with a young family.

    In a few years, I can see job conditions becoming more important and money becoming less important. I have watched a lot of 'old-timers' destroy their bodies working FAR too hard for FAR too long. I have decided that I will NOT be that guy.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The problem with SOME young techs is that their lives aren't stable.

    Once a man marries and settles into a life, he becomes more stable and predictable as an employee, and thus more valuable to the company.
    thanks. i really appreciate that ....
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,321

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is true.

    Right now, money is a pretty big thing for me, but I doubt that another company could lure me away because I have a very stable job, which is even more important to me with a young family.

    In a few years, I can see job conditions becoming more important and money becoming less important. I have watched a lot of 'old-timers' destroy their bodies working FAR too hard for FAR too long. I have decided that I will NOT be that guy.
    Be careful because it can bite you in the ass at any age.
    I have had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right hand for the past 5 years.
    It's not bad enough yet for me to get operated on but if I'm doing more than a few hundred feet of piping it can get bad for a few days.
    Staying in shape and listening to your body when it says it had enough is the key.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event