Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,606

    Techs Techs Techs where are the Techs?

    OK so I need to replace a guy. Put the ad out (which I hate to do) I was very clear 5 yrs min, not an entry level position ect. I had a fair amount of Apps come in. I briefly talked to a guy that walked in and specifically asked for me given he worked for someone I knew real well. His appearance and brief talk went well, the boy could talk shop, didnt drink or smoke, single guy, lived local, looked to be 35 did say he had an issue with his DL he was clearing up from an out of state speeding ticket he ignored. So Frank is thinking hey, guy doesnt have any baggage, old enough to be past all the young drama stuff, a little light on paper in hvac but with other bldg mechanical background, hey I'll call him in which I did.

    Well he peddles up to the ofc on a bike wearing a dirty white t-shirt. Im going mmm already. He knew he was going to have to demonstrate some trouble shooting on the Ofc furnace. I noticed he didnt have side boxes for tools on his bike so I gave him my box and meter. It was an older heil DC90, pretty straight up furnace. I told him there were no bad parts on the thing just a couple very basic common probs you run into to start with.

    I left him alone and he went to work on it. A while later he finally pops in my ofc and says OK what is it? I cant find it and went on to tell me what all he tracked and traced. I asked him did he check the t-stat circuit. He said yes 'heat' is flashing on the stat. what!?? Then he guessed I pulled a wire.
    Thinkin dude diagnose not guess. So I put the r-rc jumper back in.

    Inducer starts up with no ignition. He starring at the thing and asked me why it didnt fire. I said thats for you to tell me. So back to work he goes. For a verrry long time. He pops back in and asked me for a pressure switch. I again reminded him there were no bad parts and asked him if you think there is a bad switch did you check the switch itself to be bad? Uh no and off he went for a while. I went in to bail him out of his misery, he was palying with the vac hose and just couldnt understand how he could get the thing to fire by sucking on it and wouldnt work hooked up to the inducer. I referred to a few reasons and he had that look in his eye of 'I dont get it'. So I went outside and pulled the rag out of the flue.

    He said well you got me on that one so I started to explain this and that . Then I noticed something this guy was really good at doing and I mean really good. As I would explain something he almost could repeat my same words back nearly at the same time as if we were having the same thoughts. When I caught on to this I stopped in mid sentence. Silence. He was dead in the water. I smiled a bit through my cheesy mustache and thanked him for stopping in.
    Ive been smoked and burned myself hiring BS partschangers before in my life. But I think I met the master.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    977
    Shoulda hired him for sales!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    that is hilarious for me to read. I work with a guy who does that, where he finishes the ending of a sentence with you. And you think your getting across an idea and he is absolutely not cognizant of what you just said. It's hilarious how he does it. I laugh like heck about it when I talk to him. He's a pretty decent hand but he won't break no brain records.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    In answer to the original question.

    They are working. Working hard, and quietly going about their jobs and striving to be the best that they can be.

    In times like these, those with stable employment aren't looking to jump around. They are keeping busy and keeping roofs over their heads and food on their tables.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,507
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    In answer to the original question.

    They are working. Working hard, and quietly going about their jobs and striving to be the best that they can be.

    In times like these, those with stable employment aren't looking to jump around. They are keeping busy and keeping roofs over their heads and food on their tables.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    52
    So quick to rule out the young techs... i bet "most" young techs could have passed your little examination.

    lol but that is a funny story nonetheless

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollyone4 View Post
    So quick to rule out the young techs... i bet "most" young techs could have passed your little examination.

    lol but that is a funny story nonetheless
    The problem with SOME young techs is that their lives aren't stable.

    Once a man marries and settles into a life, he becomes more stable and predictable as an employee, and thus more valuable to the company.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,507
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The problem with SOME young techs is that their lives aren't stable.

    Once a man marries and settles into a life, he becomes more stable and predictable as an employee, and thus more valuable to the company.
    Well for the first few years anyway.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The problem with SOME young techs is that their lives aren't stable.

    Once a man marries and settles into a life, he becomes more stable and predictable as an employee, and thus more valuable to the company.
    That is a generalization which cannot be placed upon everyone.
    I just turned 42 years old and have never been married.
    I'm not living with anyone either and have no children.
    From 23 years old I was a technical representative for an HVAC manufacturer responsible for a service area that contained 2 sales offices located in 2 different provinces.

    I have never looked for a job in the 22 years I've been in this field.

    If a job needs to be done in a certain time frame I will get it done if it is humanly possible.
    I can still work from 7:00am till 4:00 in the morning and still get up to be back on the job and functioning on 3 hours sleep if need be.
    It is called work ethic, drive, and determination.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    That is a generalization which cannot be placed upon everyone.
    I just turned 42 years old and have never been married.
    I'm not living with anyone either and have no children.
    From 23 years old I was a technical representative for an HVAC manufacturer responsible for a service area that contained 2 sales offices located in 2 different provinces.

    I have never looked for a job in the 22 years I've been in this field.

    If a job needs to be done in a certain time frame I will get it done if it is humanly possible.
    I can still work from 7:00am till 4:00 in the morning and still get up to be back on the job and functioning on 3 hours sleep if need be.
    It is called work ethic, drive, and determination.
    Yes, you are right.

    However, it is a generalization because it is generally true.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12,077
    how often do you get lucky when your that old and still single. I am not being sarcastic or funny. I really wonder stuff like that.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc.
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Yes, you are right.

    However, it is a generalization because it is generally true.
    Be very careful with that one because there are many generalizations about race, religion, and nationality that can get you in big trouble.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Central Ontario Canada
    Posts
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by thump_rrr View Post
    That is a generalization which cannot be placed upon everyone.
    I just turned 42 years old and have never been married.
    I'm not living with anyone either and have no children.
    From 23 years old I was a technical representative for an HVAC manufacturer responsible for a service area that contained 2 sales offices located in 2 different provinces.

    I have never looked for a job in the 22 years I've been in this field.

    If a job needs to be done in a certain time frame I will get it done if it is humanly possible.
    I can still work from 7:00am till 4:00 in the morning and still get up to be back on the job and functioning on 3 hours sleep if need be.
    It is called work ethic, drive, and determination.
    They call us the dying breed brother...when you got a job based on your name and your reputation.
    Here's your sign...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event