Florida - Attic air handler

Hi there:

Can anyone point me the the Florida Code that says the air handler has to be suspended from the truss?

I recently had a new unit installed in the attic in the Jacksonville area and it was installed on the floor. I am now getting alot of water into the pan and it seems to be backing up into the unit itself and being picked up by the fan.

Anyway, I saw a few mentions in other posts that says that Florida code requires that the air handler be suspended and hope that someone knows what the code number is.

Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If you job was permited and inspected,they aren't enforcing that on replacement systems.

Thanks Dash for your fast response. It is really appreciated.

They didn't pull a permit to install the new unit and no one inspected it if thats what you mean. The original unit was on the attic floor.

"Backed up water seems to be in the fan?" This sounds like another problem all together. Need to have your condensate drain looked at, more than likely the negative pressure air handler drain does not have the required trap in it, and the unit is not draining properly. Were your installers experienced? PLEASE don't tell us they were the 2nd cousins of your brother in law!

Dash,

Is hanging the air handler in an attic new code (2007 Mechanical codes)? My brother just had his house built, and the air handlers were set on the trusses. I don't see a problem with it, as units have been set like this for years. I am just curious to see if this is a new code.

There is no portion of the FBC Building or Mechanical codes that stipulate an air handler must be suspended and not installed horizontally on a platform. FBC Mechanical 306.3.2 deals with an AHU located in an attic, but does not mention how it shall be attached. There is a similar section in chapter 13 of FBC Building.

I quite frequently specify units to be installed as a platform mount when applicable.

Make sure the pan is properly pitched to the drain opening, and that the condensate drain and trap are properly installed.

Code officals in the 5 counties we work in have required air handlers to be "suspended " from the top chord of the trusses for many years, on new construction.Some counties require this for replacement system too.

It's my understanding that the bottom chord of a standard truss is not designed to handle the weight of the air handler ,being that it is a static laod,as opposed to the live load of someone crawling around.Now where this may be in the code,I really don't know.

In new construction we have seen trusses designed to support the air handler.

What code officals want and what is in the code can be two different things...

I agree - the unit should be properly supported for a platform install.

The FBC does not, however, mention suspended vs. platform when discussing AHUs in attic, that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Code officals in the 5 counties we work in have required air handlers to be "suspended " from the top chord of the trusses for many years, on new construction.Some counties require this for replacement system too.

It's my understanding that the bottom chord of a standard truss is not designed to handle the weight of the air handler ,being that it is a static laod,as opposed to the live load of someone crawling around.Now where this may be in the code,I really don't know.

In new construction we have seen trusses designed to support the air handler.
    Dash,

What area do you service (counties)?

It has been common practice in commercial work for quite some years to hang from the top chord of all trusses.

The top is load bearing the bottom is not, most prints stipulate all suspended items will be done from the top chord only.

All of the resi units I have installed in attics (thankfully not many) have been done with a re-inforced (with u-channel, this is a stock item ) drain pain, lag bolts, "L" brackets and chain from the top chord.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
    Dash,

What area do you service (counties)?
    All of Citrus, Hernando,and Pasco.

Parts of Levy, Marion,Pinellas, and Hillsburough.

We have a shop in Pasco and Citrus.

The water problem has nothing whatsoever to do with how the air handler is mounted/placed. It has everything to do with drainage issues and/or airflow issues. Have your installing company back to find out what's going on. Could be piece of insulation blocking the primary drain.

I'm in Jacksonville,

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdty99 View Post
    Hi there:

Can anyone point me the the Florida Code that says the air handler has to be suspended from the truss?

I recently had a new unit installed in the attic in the Jacksonville area and it was installed on the floor. I am now getting alot of water into the pan and it seems to be backing up into the unit itself and being picked up by the fan.

Anyway, I saw a few mentions in other posts that says that Florida code requires that the air handler be suspended and hope that someone knows what the code number is.

Thanks
    And I happen to know, as others here have already pointed out, that there is no code requiring the suspension of air handlers in the attic here in Florida. And, as a side note, I've noticed the inspectors here in Duval County have become more & more - well - picky. They have been failing new installs for reasons that aren't even in the code, & I suspect that in their little morning training sessions their supervisor may be telling them the county budget is down & that in order for them to keep their jobs they better start failing some installs so that they can charge another fee to come out. My boss already has set up a meeting w/the supervisor to complain, in fact.

And, for what it's worth, you have a condensation problem that has no bearing on whether or not your air handler is hanging from the trusses or sitting on them. You would still have that problem regardless.
    WHY?