charging a system

charging a system

If you're charging a system with the refrigerant tank upside down will it come out as a liquid and harm the compressor.

Yes, it will come out as a liquid.

Yes, if not managed in some way, it CAN damage the compressor.

That said, I charge liquid all the time, and some refrigerants require that they be withdrawn from the cylinder as a liquid.

charging your own system with out knowledge of proper procedure is dangerous for you and your equipment. call a pro and save yourself some money.

Quote Originally Posted by Royster88 View Post
    If you're charging a system with the refrigerant tank upside down will it come out as a liquid and harm the compressor.
    Yes, if compressor running.

Actually, I'd be more afraid of putting liquid into a non-running compressor.

A running compressor is generating heat which would help to evaporate any stray liquid that makes it that far.

As I stated before, I charge liquid almost exclusively (except for very small critically charged systems) and have not damaged a compressor this way.

A little care taken to meter the refrigerant into the system goes a long way.

Either that, or you have a LOT of wasted time on your hands waiting for a 50 of 22 to boil off. I'm not that patient.

There are also devices available to do it for you. I also use these for charging azeotropes in the same small, critically charged systems where I cannot charge with vapor and need precise control over the amount of refrigerant used.

The OP should apply for Pro memership if he wants more info on charging systems.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?