Thread: over loaded RTU

Confused over loaded RTU

All right I have a Reem roof top unit that is undersized. The building used to be a c- store now its a Dominos and I believe we are genarating more heat now in the building. So this is a lame way of fixing it but what I did is set a sprinkler on the condesor coil to help it reject the heat. It seems to be working but now I'm trying to see if there is a better way to do this cause I am worried about scale building up on the coil. I have herd of a system that works like a swamp cooler for the condensor but not have any luck. Customer is renting thew building and does not want to really put a new unit on the roof. or add one. just cause of expense.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lurch12 View Post
    All right I have a Reem roof top unit that is undersized. The building used to be a c- store now its a Dominos and I believe we are genarating more heat now in the building. So this is a lame way of fixing it but what I did is set a sprinkler on the condesor coil to help it reject the heat. It seems to be working but now I'm trying to see if there is a better way to do this cause I am worried about scale building up on the coil. I have herd of a system that works like a swamp cooler for the condensor but not have any luck. Customer is renting thew building and does not want to really put a new unit on the roof. or add one. just cause of expense.
    Thanks
    Increase volume of pizza sales and replace rtu or he will have no a/c and be forced to replace.

Every Domino's I have worked on, always installed a new unit when they moved in. Too much load between ovens and coolers. Are you working for Domino's or the building owner. If your working for the building owner, you are killing his equipment.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Great temp fix! You bought time to plan on changing the unit for a bigger one. No permanent way to make that work. It will rot the coil, and you may have waist water reclaim issues with the EPA depending on your area.

Its for the domino's guy that i am doing this for he cant get the owner of the building to do anything about it. I do know that there was a company out there that built a swampcooler system for the condensor coil. We had an issue with a trane unit where it was located and it couldn't shed the heat and my old trane rep told me about this company that made a system that worked like a swamp cooler for the condensor coil. I know it sound really wierd and not right i was just looking into it for another option. Or any other ideas if you guys have one. I,m not even sure if i can put a biger roof top unit with out increasing duct size.

This still might be out of the pizza guy's price range... but these are module evaporative coolers: http://www.specair.net/html/searchre...php?masterid=2
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Can you say...Mini Splits?
    Pizza Hut has them installed on the old red roof buildings and some of the strip mall stores. One RTU to condition entire store with t stat in the dining room. Mini splits to help cool the kitchen. The oven normally generates enough heat during the winter that the one RTU may be enough
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Hey thanks hcong. and 2sac I thought about mini splits I am a big fan of them but not to sure about them being in a kitchen though. Also not all building are alike i need about 10 tons of cooling and that wouldn't be cheap to do in a mini split. I did find what i was looking for through a company in ut. When i get some more info on them i will let you know and try to show you guys a pic or web page with it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lurch12 View Post
    Hey thanks hcong. and 2sac I thought about mini splits I am a big fan of them but not to sure about them being in a kitchen though. Also not all building are alike i need about 10 tons of cooling and that wouldn't be cheap to do in a mini split. I did find what i was looking for through a company in ut. When i get some more info on them i will let you know and try to show you guys a pic or web page with it.
    Thanks
    Yep let us know.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)