Bryant Evolution vs Coleman Echelon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bryant Evolution vs Coleman Echelon

I have received 5 bids from local companies. After doing much research these are the following systems that I have narrowed it down to. We are upgrading a 20+ year old RUDD furnace (no AC or heat pump). Ruled our Carrier because it does not seem to be worth the extra cost. We live in the Pacific NW and the weather here is pretty mild.

1. Bryant Evolution 268A 3 ton heat pump (16 SEER/ 9.0 HSPF) with Bryant 80% Evolution 315AAV adding honeywell media filter with the Evolution Control system

Bryant Heat Pump

and

Bryant Furnace

2. Coleman Echelon 3 ton 5T Series (15+ SEER / 8.5+ HSPF) with Coleman LX series 96% AFUE "premium" two stage furnace with Honeywell VisionPro 8000 control system. Also comes with media air cleaner and UV.

Coleman Heat Pump

and

Coleman Furnace

The dealer for system 1 states that the increase in price to upgrade to 96% AFUE Bryant system is not easily justified.

Both seem like very solid systems that would suite our needs very well.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thumbs up

Bryant is pretty much the same exact product as Carrier. The inside equipment will be identical except for the name and model #'s. The outside equipment will use the same components, look slightly different, and be almost as efficient. Evolution controls match Infinity controls to a T.

Carrier the same as Bryant

Thanks for the info re Carrier being the same as Bryant. I have stumbled on some info pages with Bryant and Carrier models that have the exact same specs ie SEER EER and every other thing listed just different model numbers. Hard to want to pay 30% more for the "same" thing. Still wondering about Coleman.

I am not familiar with newer Coleman equipment. One thing I do notice is the coleman equipment is quoted with a Honeywell thermostat. This would be a somewhat conventional way of controlling the system. Even though Honeywell can perform many functions with their thermostats they are not set up for digital communication with the equipment they are tied to. The Evolution thermostat(system interface module) communicates completely with both the indoor and outdoor equipment you have listed. It identifies what it is hooked up to and runs the equipment accordingly. No one can compete with what Carrier/Bryant has with their digital communications. There are other manufacturers that have digital communication but they do not take it to the same level.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm View Post
    Thanks for the info re Carrier being the same as Bryant. I have stumbled on some info pages with Bryant and Carrier models that have the exact same specs ie SEER EER and every other thing listed just different model numbers. Hard to want to pay 30% more for the "same" thing. Still wondering about Coleman.
    Whatever it costs extra for the Carrier,could be the difference in the install by the Contractor. Prices vary around the country,but that's a big difference,and I doubt it's in the equipment cost. Buyer beware!

I don't know what Colman is doing now but I guarentee the controls are not anything like the Evolution/Infinity. You can't beat them for comfort and performance

I am very familiar with both, I have installed and serviced both. There is no comparison Bryant is a much nicer unit than Coleman. Evolution control is very nice.

I don't know what they would have charged you for the high efficiency model, but in my honest opinion it's always worth the money to go to a 96% efficient furnace rather than an 80%. More money up front, but you'll be saving costs each month on your utility bills.
    Click Here.

If there is an extreme difference between the two prices price shop for an other company that deals with bryant. It is understandable that they would charge a bit more as there is a lot more labor involved & the furnace is more expensive due to different parts/technology involved in the condensing furnace. However, the high efficiency furnace should qualify for the 1500 fed tax credit & in some areas there are rebates involved from the gas suppliers & energy companies. For example, in our area (MA/RI) you can get 400 gas networks rebate (for high eff. gas furnace), 1,500 tax credit (for energy saving equipment), & possibly a rebate for the A/C too. I suppose that it could be different where you live, but that tax credit should definitely be available to you.
    Last edited by mdelliott; 09-07-2009 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added link & info about tax credit/etc.

I am a Luxaire dealer which is the same as coleman. I would ask for a comparable quote to a 95% furnace. The Coleman has the same quality as Bryant and with the variable speed condensing furnace the Colemen system would be the better system. If both were 95% furnaces i would go bryant. Make sure Geo-Trac is turned on for humidity control if you go Colemen.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I am a Luxaire dealer which is the same as coleman. I would ask for a comparable quote to a 95% furnace. The Coleman has the same quality as Bryant and with the variable speed condensing furnace the Colemen system would be the better system. If both were 95% furnaces i would go bryant. Make sure Geo-Trac is turned on for humidity control if you go Colemen.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Average Temperatures where I live

................Jan .. Feb Mar .. Apr May ..Jun . Jly Aug Sep. Oct..Nov Dec
    High Temp45.5 50.1 55.5 60.8 67.0 72.6 78.9 79.1 74.2 63.0 51.4 45.5
    Low Temp 36.7 38.5 40.7 43.5 48.5 53.2 57.3 57.9 54.6 48.1 41.8 37.3
    Precip.......6.24 5.07 4.51 3.10 2.49 1.60 .76 .99 1.87 3.39 6.39 6.75

It is my impression that the heat pump will do the majority of the heating and cooling above 40 degrees. As you can see the temperature is relatively mild where I live and i think that is why the dealer said that it may be a long time before the investment for a more efficient furnace pays off. In my best estimation it would be more than 10 years. Also we just received notice that our gas company will be lowering the rates by 14.7% (after raising them 14.5% last year) which was a nice surprise.

Freezeking - I do have a bid from the Bryant dealer for the 96% EFU. It would add approx 10% to the total system cost. Even if I went with the 96% EFU furnace the Bryant dealer would would still be around 15% cheaper than an equivalent Coleman. The 96% EFU furnaces would require new venting with PVC as our current metal pipes would not handle the extra moisture load.

mdelliott - Thank you for your thoughts. I did make sure that the combination that I listed above would qualify for the $1500 tax credit. The dealer provided a AHRI certificate and you can see it here AHRI for Bryant 80% furnace
    I am not sure how the certification works but the combined system must work with the heat pump to meet the necessary criteria.

jdcoolj - I am am tending to lean toward the same conclusion. I have not read or heard anyone that is unhappy with the Evolution control.

I think that my game plan will be to call another Bryant dealer to get a second bid. Right now I have 2 dealers bids for Carrier, 2 dealers bids for Coleman, and 1 dealers bid for Bryant.

Everyone cautions that the install is the most important part of the final working system. I have a hard time understanding how it could really be that much difference if you are dealing with NATE certified factory dealer all having 10+ years of experience as is the case with all 5 companies listed above.

Even the company that provided the lowest bid (Bryant) I have numerous friends that have used this company and been very happy with the overall install.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Is the Coleman system a digital communicating system?

Coleman is not the same quality in my opinion. Bryant has heavier gage steel, better quality paint job, it also has actual service valves not just schrader pins. Believe me it is much nicer than the Coleman, Luxaire, Fraser Johnston and York. I'm not a Bryant or Carrier dealer i speak from experience form service and installation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast