Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

price to run gas vs heatpump

hi i have a 95% gas furnace and a 14 seer 8.2 HSPF heatpump. i was looking at my gas and Electricity website. it looks like this winter it will be cheaper to run the gas furnace can that be true. i live in louisville ky. where is the website http://www.eon-us.com/rsc/lge/res_heating_costs.asp if i run the heatpump should i set my switch over temp to 40?

Compare gas + electricity rates and efficiency.

Your heatpump is capable of providing 3+ units of heat for every unit of energy consumed. The info on that website applies to heatpumps will electric backup as opposed to dual fuel systems.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

is there a website i can put my info in and see what will be cheaper?

Not that I know of.

Relative operating costs at different outdoor temps can be calculated manually or with a spread sheet.

Chances are that your heatpump will start losing ground far before it becomes more expensive to operate than the furnace.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

By the rates from that site.

As long as your heat pumps COP is at or above 2.6, the heat pump is cheaper.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by chrism9232 View Post
    is there a website i can put my info in and see what will be cheaper?
    Determine your total cost of each energy source by dividing the actual cost on the invoice (which includes all taxes, surcharges, and other add-on expenses not included in the quoted rate) by the amount of energy delivered.

Use a COP for the heat pump in a range of 2.5 to 3.0 when inputting your energy cost at this site: http://www.warmair.com/html/fuel_cost_comparisons.htm

if i did it right it looks like any time my heatpump is above 3.0 cop it will be cheaper

Here's the math.

Compare the cost of 1 million btu's of heat.

Gas furnace w/gas at $.633 per ccf, 95% AFUE:
    (1,000,000 / 100,000 btu per ccf) x .633 / .95
    = $6.66

Heat pump w/electricity at $.064 per kw-hr delivered price, COP = 3.25 at 35F:
    (1,000,000 / 3414 btu per kw-hr) x .064 / 3.25
    = $5.76

The heat pump is 13.4% cheaper than the gas furnace for the same 1 million btu's at 35F ambient with COP = 3.25.

As the ambient temps increase from the 35F example, COP increases, and the heat pump is even cheaper to run.

Take care.

is that counting defrost? my heatpump defrost every 60 min and the gas is on first stage when the heatpump is defrosting.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism9232 View Post
    is that counting defrost? my heatpump defrost every 60 min and the gas is on first stage when the heatpump is defrosting.
    No. Does not include the cost to defrost.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Here's the math.

Compare the cost of 1 million btu's of heat.

Gas furnace w/gas at $.633 per ccf, 95% AFUE:
    (1,000,000 / 100,000 btu per ccf) x .633 / .95
    = $6.66

Heat pump w/electricity at $.064 per kw-hr delivered price, COP = 3.25 at 35F:
    (1,000,000 / 3414 btu per kw-hr) x .064 / 3.25
    = $5.76

The heat pump is 13.4% cheaper than the gas furnace for the same 1 million btu's at 35F ambient with COP = 3.25.

As the ambient temps increase from the 35F example, COP increases, and the heat pump is even cheaper to run.

Take care.
    Hmm I just plugged in my gas and electric rates into these formulas. I guess I did it correctly. Is there a chart or formula to use that will show how the COP changes as the temperature drops?

No.

Performance greatly varies between different models and manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    No. Does not include the cost to defrost.
    That's a big deal with systems that don't utilize a demand defrost control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast