Ready to buy, Lennox VS Amana??

Hello everyone,

I'm new here (been reading for a while) so please be patient with me.

I'm looking to get a complete new heat pump system with new ducks installed, I'm currently heating my home with hot water, gas furnace, radiators, where I live its extremely expensive to heat with gas so I decided to go with a heat pump since electricity is much cheaper (at about .073 cents a kwh)

I got several quotes I was told I need a 2.5 ton and about 18-20 Kwh for the heating.

I done research I narrowed it down to the Lennox XP14 2.5 ton 16SEER and 9 HSPF or Amana ASZ 14-030 which is 14.5SEER

at first the Lennox looks like a better system but the warranty on the Amana is lifetime on the compressor and 10 years for the parts vs Lennox is 10-5 respective

I have a few questions?

1) does anyone have experience with both/ is Lennox better so the warranty does not matter or is Amana (which is owned by Goodman) just as good?

2) after reading all information online I'm getting more confused, it seems that my whole idea to go with a heat pump is wrong since I leave in Canada where we get bitter cold winters and the heat pump can't heat when it reaches about 10-12 F and it switches over to the coils which uses much more electricity. am I better off to change my gas furnace to an electric? or go the hp route?

any help would be appreciate!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Mo-R; 09-01-2009 at 02:46 PM.

The Lennox should have a 10 year parts warranty on all parts if registered in a timely manner. See here http://www.lennox.com/owners/warranty.asp. Is this a heat pump and coil you are adding on to the existing gas furnace? If so, doubtful you will get 16 SEER/9 HSPF without a new indoor blower section (i.e., new furnace or air handler). Can you clarify with the model numbers you've been given? If I were making the decision, I would pick the Lennox, but that's just my biased opinion, and others would prefer the Amana. You should be happy with either setup if installed properly.

Does the Trane 10yr warr cover labor also, as I believe the Amana does, plus Amana has lifetime on the compressor w/ condenser unit replacement?

Thank you Mr. RyanHughes for your reply, I was not to clear in my initial post. my intention is to get rid of my gas furnace completely, I was quoted the whole system as follows:

Lennox XP-14-030
    lennox CBX27HU-030 20KW air handler
    duct work
    digital thermostat
    refrigerant tubing kit
    e.c.t. all the other parts to get a complete new system.

I will use the heat pump and air handler exclusively to heat the home

RE: Lennox warranty as it stats on their website for this model is 10 years on compressor and 5 years all other parts.

http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=XP14

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    Does the Trane 10yr warr cover labor also, as I believe the Amana does, plus Amana has lifetime on the compressor w/ condenser unit replacement?
    yes the Amana dealer wrote on the quote "10 years on all parts and LABOR" beside the compressor which is lifetime unit replacement.

that's why I'm a little torn which one to buy. from one side Lennox is spouses to be better, from the other side the warranty that Amana offers is very tempting,

is it a heat Pump a good idea for a very cold climate? can anyone from the North East tell me their experience with a heat pump In really cold winter days?

Well, it depends. Sure, it's cold up there im Quebec but microclimates differ from place to place. You need to work with a local installer who knows your annual HDD and average, high and low winter temperatures. Then he can accurately tell you what the heatpump can do, what the backup strips will need to cover and, depending on the cost of Gas vs electricity, whether the heatpump still comes out ahead or whether some other solution is preferred.

In your climate, heating needs will invariably be greater than cooling needs so you may have to compromise with a larger 2 stage heatpump (will run on low most of the summer), a dual fuel system (gas backup) or (again, depending on gas vs electric rates) electric resistance backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-R View Post
    RE: Lennox warranty as it stats on their website for this model is 10 years on compressor and 5 years all other parts.

http://www.lennox.com/products/overview.asp?model=XP14
    This setup is eligible for the extended warranty if registered within 90 days of installation, bringing all parts to 10 years. Many brands have gone this route to compete with the warranties offered by other manufacturers such as Amana/Goodman.

"Lennox Limited Extended Warranty

Supplements the Basic Warranty, increasing coverage on parts and compressors from 5 years to 10 years on select Lennox Elite® Series and Lennox Merit® Series gas furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, air handlers and residential package units.

Supplemental warranty coverage applies to equipment installed on or after March 1, 2009.

Online equipment registration at www.LennoxRegistration.com is required within 90 days after installation (except in California and Quebec.)
    "

(You state you are in Canada but I am not sure whether you are in Quebec, in which case this doesn't apply.)

I'm not sure how Northeast you would consider the DC area, but heat pumps seem to work very well here if functioning properly. The heat pump provides most of the heat, with heat strips to help if making a large recovery or when temperatures get toward winter design temp (i.e., very cold).