Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HVAC Training???

My son just graduated high school and he is wanting to become HVAC certified. Can you recommend a good school for this type of training? We have checked into Tri-State, but nobody seems to know much about this school. Before signing him up for an $18K program, Id like to check and see if there are better schools or programs out there. Preferrably one that will not require him to take Speech/Math/English. He only wants to take the work related courses. I'm working on changing his mind though so all suggestions welcomed.

He would be interested in an Apprenticeship Program as well. We are located in Birmingham, AL.

Sorry, but in my opinion, speech, mathematics and english language courses should be required for anyone entering this field.

There is a negative stereotype that mechanics of all stripes are dumb. We reenforce that stereotype when we are unable to express ourselves well to the customer and on paper.

As far as the math goes, there are a number of different calculations that he will have to learn that require high school level algebra to solve. Not rocket science by any stretch, but it is unavoidable.

Rant over, I will step down from my soapbox now.

As far as training, he will get out of it what he puts into it.

Obviously, some schools are better than others. Someone from your area may be more able to comment on that.

at his age the military trades schools are a great way to earn as you learn, the union apprentice programs are hard to get into without a family connection. not saying it cant be done, but it is tuff now with the slow economy. if you can afford to send him, ferris state in michigan is rated number one in hvac. do not go to a money mill, lincoln tech, tesst, ati or any short term high dollar scam. some local community colleges have solid programs. ask some local contractors what they think of the graduates from any of your schools nearby. hopefully one of the members here from alabama will see this and reply. pay now, save later. he will be out of your hair for good if he makes decent money, ha!

you could research technical colleges in your area that offer hvac/r courses. look for one where he can at least get an AS degree. he could also consider a bs degree in mechanical engineering; that along with some hvac/r courses could potientially give your son a real good career and not just a job.

Quote Originally Posted by ONEMEANMOM View Post
    My son just graduated high school and he is wanting to become HVAC certified. Can you recommend a good school for this type of training? We have checked into Tri-State, but nobody seems to know much about this school. Before signing him up for an $18K program, Id like to check and see if there are better schools or programs out there. Preferrably one that will not require him to take Speech/Math/English. He only wants to take the work related courses. I'm working on changing his mind though so all suggestions welcomed.
    He would be interested in an Apprenticeship Program as well. We are located in Birmingham, AL.
    Doing a GOOGLE search, it appears that Lawson State Community College - Bessemer campus has Air Conditioning/Refrigeration programs that include a short certificate program of only 27 credit hours. Of course, if he found he really liked school he could continue and take additional classes and either get a long-certificate or a 2-yr. Associates degree. The tuition would also be a fraction of the 18K charged by the for-profit technical schools.

http://www.lawsonstate.edu/academics...index_air.html

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    http://www.uamont.edu/facultyweb/sitton/spell.html

Spell checkers don't always help.
    You should have some idea of how the word should be spelled. If you type "eye" for "I" then you deserve whatever impression you're giving to people.
    Last edited by BigJon3475; 09-02-2009 at 02:30 PM.

This field requires Math even at the Base leaves he hope you understands that.

Mon I think it's great your try to help him HOWEVER he need to get on here and ask the

question and start leaning. If he worried about bad spelling and Typos tell he not to. KO were all have Typeeo.

But he needs to do the leg work or your throw money out for Training is a wast.

A lot of CC or GOOD Trade Schools if you talk to them and there is a LD will work with you. Again He needs to do the leg work with you is OK but he needs to go and he needs to join the Forums and look up the information. You can help him be he needs to put the interest and work forward.

Good luck Mom
    If you help others then you are a Success

If he wants worried about the book work have him go part time and work as a helper in HVAC Part. Or full time, Military is a good Idea If your worry about the war have him sign up for the Coast Guard. Training, Pay, Time to grow up and hte GI bill.

You can lead a horse to water but they have to want to drink. I know it hard to remember when its your kid.

Had a friend who kid was bright but Mom did all the leg work for him Kid GOt in to MIT yes MIT had the Brains no problem. Never did any of the wrok looking for or getting in to school, his mom did it all. Lasted a year didn't study or go to class didn't lisent when he Did. He joined the Coast Guard 4 puls yr ago and I get ready to go back to school hope Cal Tech or MIT.

Good Luck let us Know how it goes
    If you help others then you are a Success

I can highly recommened the program at Sacramento City College. It has been around more than 50 years.

Ferris State is a good one. But since your in Alabama I sure hope he likes cold and snow already had one frost up here in the North. I live about 1hr 20 mins. from Ferris to the North.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast