Thermostat for Infinity 80

My installer put the Honeywell TH8000 on the Infinity 80 air handler/furnace. My concern is that I cannot control the fan speed with the TH8000 unless I am missing something. Living in Phoenix it is nice during the heat of the day to have the fan on the high speed. Would I be better having the TH8000 replaced with the Infinity control? The system is doing a great job for this first summer except for not having that blast of air when the fan is only on the lower setting.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks

What condenser do you have? The Infinity controller won't work on anything but an Infinity condensing unit. If you do have a true matched Infinity system I would call the contractor out to put the Infinity control on.

the unit outside is the Comfort. There are times that the blower comes on that it blowers very strong and other times you barely hear it. What I am trying to do is to control that fan speed/volume. Is there anyway I can do it with the TH8000?

Thumbs up

You can use the infinity stat with an infinity furnace and any kind of unit outside. They design it this way in case the customer wants to upgrade the furnace now and do the air at a later time. You can change the airflow setting for the continuous fan mode to a higher setting. I would call the installing contractor back out to make the change. This should be free of charge as part of what they sell with this furnace is comfort. The change has to be made at the furnace control board. The honeywell thermostat will bring the fan on to whatever cfm the board is set up to run in continuous mode while the infinity thermostat lets you choose from low/medium/high on the thermostat without anything needed to be adjusted at the furnace control board.

thanks....that is what I was thinking for my research on web. My thinking is I would rather have the Infinity thermostat in so that I could control the fan settings at the various times of the year. Especially for the 110+ days here and using the house as a working location I think it would help to boost the fan speed to med even if it was just during the circulation cycle. Unfortunately, the work area is cooled with a branch off of the main trunk (enclosed arizona room by the builder) and the med speed would just get more airflow back to this room since it is where we are for 8 hours a day.

Does this make sense?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
    thanks....that is what I was thinking for my research on web. My thinking is I would rather have the Infinity thermostat in so that I could control the fan settings at the various times of the year. Especially for the 110+ days here and using the house as a working location I think it would help to boost the fan speed to med even if it was just during the circulation cycle. Unfortunately, the work area is cooled with a branch off of the main trunk (enclosed arizona room by the builder) and the med speed would just get more airflow back to this room since it is where we are for 8 hours a day.

Does this make sense?

It sounds like any extra airflow should be helpful.

We have two I-80s and Infinity Performance 13s outside, with 2 Infinity controllers and it works great! The controller works wonderfully with the I-80 variable speed motor. But, are you sure that setting the fan speed to another speed will override what the Infinity controller and the I-80 controller board determine the ideal variable speed fan speed to be?? For example, we keep one system set to a fan speed of low during cooling months, as the duct work for the upstairs it services is in conditioned space and it keeps temps a bit more uniform up there. But the fan blows at whatever speed it is told to when a call for cooling occurs.

One thing -- if your duct work is in unconditioned attic space, you will be doing more harm than good by circulating heated duct air in the house when the A/C is not running. A room or ceiling fan would be better.

Plus, it sounds like the system is not sized right, or has inadequate returns, if you are not getting enough cooling airflow into that addition.

One last thing: If you set the fan speed to anything other than auto, the fan will not run for 5 minutes after a cooling cycle ends. That's to allow the coil to "drip-dry" and avoid circulating condensation (humidity) from it back into the house again.

all very good points, I guess I am just a little concerned that I am having to get into it to such depth. I guess I expected more control than I am getting with the variable speed I 80. I also am concerned that I called my contractor today and suggested my idea and he came back with a price that was 3X+ what I could buy the Infinity thermostat for in the open market plus the installation. I challenged him and he is off researching it. I am down to looking a controller board settings myself and thermostat wiring diagrams. I appreciate all the help in this forum and really don't want to get down to flipping switches on a furnace control board. Would it not be easier just to install the thermostat myself? It is amazing how hard it is to figure this stuff out anymore.

This is not a DIY forum and I am just a homeowner, but I can tell you this, as I was there when one was replaced under warranty. The Infinity comes in 2 pieces. A base plate that is wired (4 wires) and mounted to the wall, and the main unit snaps on top once the base plate is mounted. You snap it on, you hit 'setup' and it sets itself up via on-screen prompts as it communicates with the furnace board.

For your bedtime reading, here is a link to Carrier Commercial website docs for it.

thank you for the link to my nighttime reading....I already have to take a little pill to turn off my mind but the information is very informative. I know this is not a DIY forum but after having gone thru two braindead Carrier AC companies with my request it appears they cannot think outside the products they know and they carry. I therefore guess I am doing it on my own because they won't even give me a price for the Infinity thermostat muchless be willing to install it. I guess that I am rather frustrated (as I was last year when putting in the new system and talking to all the bozos that would come thru the door to quote) how non standard each of them would present their solution. Some were so funny you had trouble not laughing in their face and that was before you got to the price. It is just amazing that they are selling a vaiable speed blower with no way to contol the blower speed except to tell me to go to the control board. It is a shame that there are not the professionals in this industry that can treat customers like they can think but then I am probably too much of an engineer for them. I certainly am convinced I know more about the Infinity thermostat than any of them just because I took the the time to read. Again thank you for your link and I will keep you posted on my progress if my login remains active after this post. Thanks again.