Thread: Cost to Operate

Cost to Operate

Any Excel guru's with knowledge of how to calculate the cost to operate out there?

I'm building an Op cost xls, but my results so far are way off those of http://www.hvacopcost.com/

I'd be grateful for any pointers. And advice on how to factor savings from a variable speed A/C, and Furnace.

It looks like .xls attachments aren't supported here, so PM me and I'll email it to anyone who wants to give it a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebingo View Post
    Any Excel guru's with knowledge of how to calculate the cost to operate out there?

I'm building an Op cost xls, but my results so far are way off those of http://www.hvacopcost.com/

I'd be grateful for any pointers. And advice on how to factor savings from a variable speed A/C, and Furnace.

It looks like .xls attachments aren't supported here, so PM me and I'll email it to anyone who wants to give it a crack.
    I have calculated mine by knowing how many hours my areas experiences each temp, the OAT in which heating or cooling is required within the home, what the gain/loss is of the home at design conditions, the energy needed to operate the equipment, and finally the cost of energy. If you have a gas furnace you will need the cost of gas, the BTU content of the gas, the actual operating efficiency of the unit, and the cost of electricity.

With all that, and maybe some things I have forgotten, build your spread sheet.

mchild
    Many thanks. I believe I have included all factors you mention into my calculations. I would appreciate a fresh per of eye's from someone who has completed the process.

May I send you a copy of my work?