Time for a change

I'm in the process of starting my own business. I've been the trade for several years... 16 to be exact...After tech school I started in residential and light commercial then went into industrial. I was just wondering on how many here have ventured out on their own, especially lately, and hows it working for ya? I'm targeting residential and light commercial. I do have some start up capital to buy van or truck, some more tools and equipment. My wife is on board and I'm actually excited about the whole idea. Any suggestions ? Thanks, gztech

Quote Originally Posted by gztech View Post
    I'm in the process of starting my own business. I've been the trade for several years... 16 to be exact...After tech school I started in residential and light commercial then went into industrial. I was just wondering on how many here have ventured out on their own, especially lately, and hows it working for ya? I'm targeting residential and light commercial. I do have some start up capital to buy van or truck, some more tools and equipment. My wife is on board and I'm actually excited about the whole idea. Any suggestions ? Thanks, gztech

Get the business end of it totally set up first. Your pricing system, computer programing, flat rate system (you can't do resi w/o flat rate) advertising, the whole office scenario, done before you pull the trigger.

You also need to apply for professional membership.

Oh yea, been on my own for 25 years!

HeyBob, thanks for your advise. I remember using flat rate pricing when I started out. I think the system was purchase through a vendor and targeted for our geographical area...I'll have to do some research on this. When our CO finally figured it out all the techs went on commission.

Go to servicemanager.com.for info on F/R