Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zero turnmowers

Dixon

Like the rest of you guys, I work, the grass grows.... so I bought a mower my wife can use while I'm gone.
    First, I bought a Dixon 4516 mower with a 50" deck, a medium size ZTR mower, for $4500, back in 00.
    We have around 1.5 acres, hilly, flat, and everything in-between.
    She was mowing on the side of a hill, and the mower slid sideways down the hill. Scared her and me, when she told me.
    I loaded it on the trailer and took it back, told the guy I wanted the biggest one he had, assuming it wouldn't slide down the hill sideways.
    We got the 7025 Commercial. Sweet..., But around 8K back then, Now 9 years later, it starts right up, never hesitates even in the tall wet grass, plows through the Woodchuck mounds and mulches any branches I am too lazy to pick up, it's like a tree limb grinder/mower. 11 gallon tank, 60" cut, each rear wheel is driven by a hydrostatic transmission.
    you may not need the big one, but they make a good unit.
    http://products.howstuffworks.com/di...wer-review.htm
    http://www.lawnmowerfacts.com/dixon.html
    http://www.dixon-ztr.com/node2339.as...7,16606,141520

Off topic......but I have a 30 year old monkey wards push mower that starts on the first pull....sheetmetal is all to hell....its had several sets of wheels... but that bad boy is a hoss.... and I beat the hell out of it ( giggidy )....every week mowing under shrubbery etc......

I also own a 6 hp self propelled craftsman that I use for the big flat areas.....and a 42 inch craftsman rider that I use when my legs or knees give out... which isnt often.

I like push mowing......when I have the time.... I think it gives a better cut

I would like to have some sort of basket device I could put on my rider to pick up walnuts from the lawn....Got 7 walnut trees and those walnuts are a bear to mow over.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Everytime I see one of those at a store, I just stand there and drool over it.

They probably just find my lifeless body behind a push mower

I came across this web site, that zero turn owners may want to look at. www.countryztr.com
    I copy on the drool. A ZT is the cat's meow. My neighbor has loaned me his commercial grade ZT a couple times when my tractor was in the shop. I hated getting back on that cramp creator. Plus I have a 12-soon-to-be-13 year old who needs to learn how to keep the lawn. (Maybe not so much how as the fact it needs to be kept manicured.) I am looking for a safe ride. No hills but a few low spots and tight areas. We have a cedar hedge on each side and the trunks are about 4 feet apart, staggered. My neighbor's ZT is perfect for it, never mind I cut my acre in half the time it takes on the tractor. Heck, one day I cut my grass and my other neighbor's in less time on the ZT than I can cut mine on the tractor.

Drool? Mad, you ain't seen drool till you follow me into Lowe's.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

You will never go wrong with a John Deere product. What ever it may be.
    Granted you will pay a little more.

I have heard good things about Dixon. Never owned one.

I don't know anything about zero turn mowers, but down here in Florida you see about one landscaping truck pulling a trailer with a couple of them on it for every plumbing, electrical and HVAC truck on the road. Probably 8 out of 10 of those have Dixie Choppers on them. Just thought I'd toss that out there FWIW.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

I have a Toro same company as exmark. My mower deck needs to be replaced but the commercial stuff really is bullet proof and worth every penny.

You can probably get a used one cheap in this economy.

Even new they are only a thousand or so more expensive depending on the model. But you only have to buy it once.
    If you have a lot to mow go with Bobs lazer, you can seriously cut your grass so fast its scary. Better watch the boys on it.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    I have a Toro same company as exmark. My mower deck needs to be replaced but the commercial stuff really is bullet proof and worth every penny.

You can probably get a used one cheap in this economy.

Even new they are only a thousand or so more expensive depending on the model. But you only have to buy it once.
    If you have a lot to mow go with Bobs lazer, you can seriously cut your grass so fast its scary. Better watch the boys on it.

I will say this about the LazerZ, it's deady on a very steep hill, no way to stop it (downhill). It also will not back up a steep hill. Those two things are it's only shortcomings.

Thats why so many have roll bars
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Thats why so many have roll bars

Mine doesn't have a roll bar!

Go Green...

Self propelled mowers....
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by sline-dawg View Post
    Self propelled mowers....
    What about flatulance? I might get a fine from the EPA or the UN some other such lunar group.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I'm going to take a spin on my ZTR today. 71F and sunny. Great day to be outside.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    I'm going to take a spin on my ZTR today. 71F and sunny. Great day to be outside.
    Must be nice. 41 degrees here!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast