Another reason I won't use ACR Stop leak

Another reason I won't use ACR Stop leak

I've been having troubles with a LENNOX split system for awhile.
    It began when I went to do a site survey for a new customer. Their split heat pump AHU in their receiving area had been hit with a forklift and there was a leak somewhere in the system that had loosed all the refrigerant.
    Anyway, I fix all the ductwork damage, find the leak in the CU and repair that, finish the job and get it back online.
    The compressor takes a nose dive and dead shorts shortly after startup. I get the compressor replaced a little bit later, do the nitrogen purge during my brazing, a new Bi-Flo drier and a triple evacuation with dry nitrogen breaks between evacs.
    Two, three weeks later it quits working. I go out there and find that there is a restriction at the TEV. I order a replacement then do the deed later. It's a threaded mount so replacement is easy. I still do the new filter drier and triple evac and start it up. My suction pressure takes a nose dive into a vacuum. I start looking deeper and eventually find that there is a strainer in the liquid tubing that is completely blocked up as well. I cut, snatch and sweat and do the triple evac again, start it up and everything is great, it's doing some excellent cooling.
    Two weeks later it quits again.
    I go back out and find that there is another restriction in the system.
    I flip it through heat cycle a few times in a lame attempt to dislodge the restriction and trap it in the filter drier. No good, it's stopped up badly.
    Today, our senior tech goes out there and does his search. He finds that someone had used that ACR Stop Leak at some point in the past and when I changed out the compressor the activities I went through caused whatever had been left in the system after the rest got taken out with the old compressor to get knocked loose and get stuck in the new TEV I installed a few weeks ago and, caused me no end of skull seat and head bashing against the wall.
    Now we just have to do a rather complete and total system cleanup to get all of that crud out of there so that it doesn't suffer more shutdowns from restrictions.
    I can guarantee I will never use or recommend the use of ACR Stop Leak because that garbage is dangerous!
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

and obviously...... COSTLY!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

once you put that stuff in if you ever have to open that system up or it runs out of gas and exposed to the air that crap will react with the air and moisture and set up.

Our senior figured someone from a previous service company did that because they had trouble finding the leak that I found within 2 seconds of my original search. That's why we have the service contract for this customer now.
    When I did the initial survey, I have no idea how long that system sat open like it was. The leak was a broken pilot tube on the reversing valve from the discharge inlet. Big hole so lots of moisture being drawn in I imagine. But, my initial survey obviously did not take into account the introduction of the garbage the other company tech put in there.
    Too bad I can't force payment for a new system from them rather than having to charge my customer for all the damage I now have to undo.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

I'd only use the stuff on a system on its last leg- and tell the customer this is that last time I put my gauges on this system, except to scrap it.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

No way, not under any conditions would I use that stuff.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Being in the apartment industry, I hear alot about this stuff...even have a vendor who swears by it and he owned a service company for some time. I've been tempted in the past to use it but always pushed forward, knowing that the leak will show itself...eventually...sigh...
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by william antley View Post
    I've been having troubles with a LENNOX split system for awhile.
    It began when I went to do a site survey for a new customer. Their split heat pump AHU in their receiving area had been hit with a forklift and there was a leak somewhere in the system that had loosed all the refrigerant.
    Anyway, I fix all the ductwork damage, find the leak in the CU and repair that, finish the job and get it back online.
    The compressor takes a nose dive and dead shorts shortly after startup. I get the compressor replaced a little bit later, do the nitrogen purge during my brazing, a new Bi-Flo drier and a triple evacuation with dry nitrogen breaks between evacs.
    Two, three weeks later it quits working. I go out there and find that there is a restriction at the TEV. I order a replacement then do the deed later. It's a threaded mount so replacement is easy. I still do the new filter drier and triple evac and start it up. My suction pressure takes a nose dive into a vacuum. I start looking deeper and eventually find that there is a strainer in the liquid tubing that is completely blocked up as well. I cut, snatch and sweat and do the triple evac again, start it up and everything is great, it's doing some excellent cooling.
    Two weeks later it quits again.
    I go back out and find that there is another restriction in the system.
    I flip it through heat cycle a few times in a lame attempt to dislodge the restriction and trap it in the filter drier. No good, it's stopped up badly.
    Today, our senior tech goes out there and does his search. He finds that someone had used that ACR Stop Leak at some point in the past and when I changed out the compressor the activities I went through caused whatever had been left in the system after the rest got taken out with the old compressor to get knocked loose and get stuck in the new TEV I installed a few weeks ago and, caused me no end of skull seat and head bashing against the wall.
    Now we just have to do a rather complete and total system cleanup to get all of that crud out of there so that it doesn't suffer more shutdowns from restrictions.
    I can guarantee I will never use or recommend the use of ACR Stop Leak because that garbage is dangerous!
    Good to know. I saw that Stuff in FW Webb the other day & chose to stay away from it thinking to myself. "There's no way that is good for a typical split system".