Thread: Crossroads

Crossroads

I have been this field for about 13 yrs. and it feels like that I am maxed out. I want to learn all that I can in this field but I just dont get the opportunities like anyone else. PPL say get your certifications, I have those except contractors license and still get looked over. I get customer appreciation letters sent to the office about my work ethic, knowledge, and neatness of my work, still get looked over. I wanted to transfer to another dept., I get looked over by them bring someone in from outside. I just don't get it. I feel like I am in a room full of ppl and I am the only person that knows the answer to the question that being asked but I am not being noticed. Maybe it's frustration on my part and it could be but I just don't know what else to do to prove to ppl that I want to excel in HVAC and I just feel lost. It has to be something that I am overlooking. If anyone has been in this situation please any serious input would be helpful. Thanks

you are in installation dept---------correct?

keep on applying for the service jobs if that is where you want to go.

you'll find a company that will see your experience.

I
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Sounds like a friend of mine 25 years ago. he had long hair, a stupid little goatee, cussed all the time, all tattooed up, some hog ringers in his face, a very smart guy, he wondered why he was always stuck in the customers bsment where he couldnt be seen. duh, wake up and smell the fried chicken boy

Quote Originally Posted by mike dixon View Post
    Sounds like a friend of mine 25 years ago. he had long hair, a stupid little goatee, cussed all the time, all tattooed up, some hog ringers in his face, a very smart guy, he wondered why he was always stuck in the customers bsment where he couldnt be seen. duh, wake up and smell the fried chicken boy
    Well if looks is the problem than i guess i figured what is my problem. I am well groomed, have alot of knowledge of the trade. excellent customer service, and well-liked around the shop and in the office. So if it is looks , then you are telling me that my problem is that it's my fault that I am a BLACK or an African-AMERICAN man is stopping me to advance in this field. WOW!

It sucks but if you are one of the best installers at that company, they may not be willing to move you from the installation deptartment. Sometimes it is good to be an indespensible part of the team, but the downside is they sometimes aren't willing to promote or transfer you because the team will suffer. May have no choice but to jump ship to a different company and possibly take a pay cut to get into the service side of things. A tech who is a good installer and a good troubleshooter can darn near name his price at many shops.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

-- William Ernest Henley

Quote Originally Posted by samtheman View Post
    It sucks but if you are one of the best installers at that company, they may not be willing to move you from the installation deptartment. Sometimes it is good to be an indespensible part of the team, but the downside is they sometimes aren't willing to promote or transfer you because the team will suffer. May have no choice but to jump ship to a different company and possibly take a pay cut to get into the service side of things. A tech who is a good installer and a good troubleshooter can darn near name his price at many shops.
    I feel that I am that good at installing and troublshooting. If that is the case then they shoulda said something instead of being mute or acting like I am talking in another language or act like it will blow over and i'll forget about it.
    Sorry not going to happen