Thread: flow issues

flow issues

I am checking flow on a trane chiller. we added a chilled water coil and a good bit of piping and now cant maintain chw temp..I have chw supply comes out of chiller barrel at 45# goes through system back to pump out of pump at 57# through flowsetter and back to barrel.i have a pump curve trying to check gpm. is ok to use those numbers or should i be directly across pump???.also anybody have a performance chart for a taco mpv030 valve.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac17011 View Post
    I am checking flow on a trane chiller. we added a chilled water coil and a good bit of piping and now cant maintain chw temp..I have chw supply comes out of chiller barrel at 45# goes through system back to pump out of pump at 57# through flowsetter and back to barrel.i have a pump curve trying to check gpm. is ok to use those numbers or should i be directly across pump???.also anybody have a performance chart for a taco mpv030 valve.
    I'd go across the pump, to make sure you're putting out h20 get the ft' of head. You'll need to go across the barrel as well. Try the Taco website, for what I remember they're pretty informative. You may need to balance h20 flow, what kind of chiller is it? tons?
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

I may be misunderstanding something in the question, but there's no other place but directly across the pump that a pump curve will do you any good. If you have the pump curve, just set the flow by plotting your design flow for the pump, and use the circuit setter to induce the correct amount of head on the pump. Or open the circ setter 100% and use the pump discharge iso valve to throttle, then fine tune with the barrel iso valve (that's what I'd do, I hate circuit setters). Taco rep will be your best bet for CS info.

Is the coil on the same floor or up 10 stories? what was the pressure difference at the pump and chilled water barrel before the addition?