Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Continuation of first post...

This is the first pic of the energy lab. The machine in the fore-ground is a dual-duct constant air volume system. Definately not high-tech, but as there are many of them, it is here so that we know how to work on one. Notice redundant pnumatic and DDC controls. The lab was setup with both so that we can learn how to setup and work on both styles.

On the other side of the energy lab, you see the second air handler, which is a 10 ton VAV system. It has both freq. drive on the motor and RA dampners so that we can work on both styles of VAV. You can also see the 10 ton Trane Chiller that was donated to us (left side) and the other side of the dual-duct CAV AH in the previous pic.

This is one of the four equipment labs on the first floor; more specifically, the fossil fuel lab. Yeah, its messy... we're still moving in. See all that steel above? There are wire racks in all labs so that a cable can be run from above and dropped down to any piece of equipment we have/need setup. They were completely donated. Also, see the stainless steel pipe? That's the exhaust system for all of the furnaces and boilers. 80% and 90% gas furnaces, and all styles of oil burners can be vented into that pipe. Drain tubs drop from the pipes in various locations to drain off any condensate that forms. Each lab also has a different style of radiant in-floor heat... Just about every technique used to temper the heating water before it enters the floor is used so that we can learn the different methods.

This is the building's mechanical room on the first floor just off of the attrium and main entrace. The pumps for all systems are located to the left, the steam condensate pump in the middle, the Trane chiller behind, steam-hot water heat exchanger to the right. As you can tell the walls to the room are all glass. You can see right in to see what is what. The room was designed so that a class of 20 could walk through and take measurements and look at equipment.

This last one is my favorite. This is a perfect shot of the color-coded piping and duct that runs through the building. This is looking down the main corridor to the equipment labs. Look at that wire rack to the right... over NINETY-TWO THOUSAND FEET of communications cable was run. The building was designed so that you can literally sit anywhere inside and be able to plug your laptop into the network. Directly in front is the tool crib where all the heavy equipment and tools are stored. Nice to see that the digital camera and clock are reading the same time.

Oh, one last thing I should tell you. It's not done yet. Only half of it is open. That's why I didn't get any of the outside... the construction work is everywhere.

If any of you are in the area, you should drop by and take a tour. The pictures do not do it justice, despite the fact that I took 9 and they are fairly large to cover a wide area. Pics are one thing... seeing the real thing is another.

Here is my disclaimer: I was not paid to do this, I'm not getting any tuition reimbursement for doing this, I don't make commision for recruiting other students. I did this because I wanted to show why I drive 14 hours to go to school, and to give you guys something to "ooo" and "ahh" over. Therefore, I am not spamming. So there.
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

What's all in the building for DDC?

Originally posted by sysint
    I haven't gotten to the controls class yet, but I know Johnson Controls donated everything shown in the computer lab and I know the energy lab has controls by Siemens. I do not know models.
    -Aristotle

Boy did they improve the program, I graduated back in 1986, wish I had that while I was there, wish I could go back and take the program over again.

Wow!! being alot of guys dont get the pleasure of ever
    having a chance to visit this type of school,is there a
    chance that we may be able to buys some of the testing result or hear about them here on the site?

Thats a nice setup,thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by gschra11
    I haven't gotten to the controls class yet, but I know Johnson Controls donated everything shown in the computer lab and I know the energy lab has controls by Siemens. I do not know models.
    Do you think they would take some Lonworks stuff?

Originally posted by gschra11
    Do you think they would take some Lonworks stuff?
    I'm sure they would appreciate that. My E-mail is in my profile. Send me a message and I will send you the contact information for the person you would need to talk to. Thanks!
    -Aristotle

was thinking of getting my bachelors there , makes it more interesting to see these pics , thx....

Originally posted by simpleman
    Wow!! being alot of guys dont get the pleasure of ever
    having a chance to visit this type of school,is there a
    chance that we may be able to buys some of the testing result or hear about them here on the site?

Thats a nice setup,thanks for sharing.
    Sorry simple, somehow I missed your reply until I was showing this post to a friend of mine. I'm sure that testing results are available. I'll ask how they go about distributing them.
    -Aristotle

ooo----aah--ooo---aah Must have been fun to work on that!!!

Wow!!!! That is a FRIKKIN' nice setup. I'm finishing up at Northwestern Tech in Michigan. I'm going to have to see what the pre-req's are to go there. Once again, that's a NICE setup. Thanks for sharin' and good luck.

ferris grainger

I was one of the first students to use the lab in august for
    Lafferty's and Quilitzsch class I am taking the B.S. HVAC
    on line it is a impressive lab.

That is an amazing school,I could look at chillers all day,that is what i go to school for{comertial and industrial refrigeration}.I love large powerful machines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast