Need Advice-Which Brand?

I am ready to replace my 57000 BTU 12 seer 1999 Rheem split system.
    I am in south Florida.The Rheem has done well for me but want to maximize the efficiency with the 18 seer.Been looking at the RASL-JEC with dual compressors.
    Or should I look at a 2 stage.Am I looking at more repairs with dual verses single 2 stage?
    I am also going to take advantage of a Rheem rebate of 1,000 plus FPL rebate of 1,495.
    Any tips on differences in brands?

Simple rule, dealer is more important than brand. The last step in the manufacture of an HVAC system is a quality installation.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Basically all the same stuff. Just make sure that the efficiency the equipment manufacturer calls the equipment is actually the efficiency according to the ARI ratings. Many manufacturers call their equipment according to the efficiency of the highest rating for each model series. For example, a Trane 19 SEER may really be about 16 SEER as a Carrier 20 SEER may barely break into the 17 SEER range. Some brands actually have higher SEER ratings then their model designation when coupled with certain types of indoor units.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

That's a good question on 2 stage versus dual compressors. I have not gotten any feedback on that. Is it because they're new concepts and there's not enough info? I don't know.

Anybody?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I dont know the answer to this, but I look at worst case senerio on repairs.
    Which would cost more to repair (after warrenty) a compressor burn out on a single compressor 2 stage system, as opposed to one of 2 compressors in a 2 comp system?
    Also, if one comp died, on the 2 comp system, would you still have some cooling until the dead one was replaced?
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

It was stated that if one went out the other would still work.
    The 2 stage has been around for a while as well.The 2 stage has a better eer rating and more btu.
    Tough descision.I guess the 2 compressor unit has not been around for a while and the more stuff you have the more likely it is to break.Hugh?

Two compressor resi units have been available for quite a while. I tossed out about $50k worth of dual compressors when closing down a branch a few years ago. The two compressor units did not sell well, were difficult to work on and if one compressor went out you had to replace both as a prepiped set. Goodman would not let me separate the two compressors and sell them individually so we tossed them all.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Goodman would not let me separate the two compressors and sell them individually so we tossed them all.
    What a waste.
    "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it." Henry Ford