Bought a "lectric" smoker. Tossed the metal wood chip box. Soak large wood chips then wrap in tinfoil and place directly attop the electric heating element. Add a large pan of water and come back every 2-3 hours and add more water and replace a tinfoil wood chip.
Got it at Walmart on sale for under a $100. Love it!
Ditto on the rub (put more than you think you need on there - it makes a really good "bark" that adds flavor.)
When I make Pulled Pork It is a week job. Goes a little like this.
1. Go to a real butcher and get a whole shoulder. Or a couple, I usually do 4.
2. Apply rub (No you cannot have the recipe) bout 1 cup per 4-5 pounds of meat. not just a little shake and RUB IT IN.
3. Seal meat in a container and put in fridge for at least 3 days
4. Cold smoke meat 12-15hrs, meat is deeply smoked but still raw.
5. By now your nearly out of beer and it's late. So pile meat in a large roaster and cover with foil. Put it in the oven @225F and go to bed.
6. When you wake up allow meat to cool. You won't need to "pull anything" it's falling apart already. just give a little additional forking. By the time you have everything else ready your guests are here.
I think the loin is the best part of the pig and I've seen some really good deals on them lately.
Hey Jerry try this with a loin.
1. split it lengthways ( like a loaf of french bread )
2. Take a meat mallet ( not your hand ) and pound it fairly flat.
3. Mix up your favorite spicy stuffing and leave it a little moist.
4. spoon into the center of the loin and fold it shut. season the outside with a good rub
5. wrap and toothpick the loin with bacon from Vermont Smoke and Cure ( peppered or not).
6. Smoke and or slow cook on the Vermont Casting grill @ 250 or so for 3-4 hours until done.
7. shoo neighbors away ( or have the War Dept. do it )
8. slice and enjoy after it has rested 20-30 minutes.
Simple enough even for a Yankee Take care.
i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.
Anyone who uses a "electric smokers", an oven, or a gas grill is not really cooking bbq! And no you cant make pulled pork with a loin! use a boston butt / pork shoulder. You need to have a charcoal / wood smoker if you do not have one you cant cook bbq! I have an offset charcoal / wood smoker and to cook pulled pork you just need time, paitence, LUMP Charcoal, wood....on a good size butt shoot for bout 12-15 hrs. temp is important but you dont need to obsess over it. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPIED!