Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good rubs and basting will help. Glad you're begining the smoker experience
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

cant wait to use my smoker fish only

Bought a "lectric" smoker. Tossed the metal wood chip box. Soak large wood chips then wrap in tinfoil and place directly attop the electric heating element. Add a large pan of water and come back every 2-3 hours and add more water and replace a tinfoil wood chip.

Got it at Walmart on sale for under a $100. Love it!

Ditto on the rub (put more than you think you need on there - it makes a really good "bark" that adds flavor.)

Can you use a pork loin for pulled pork??.

I think the loin is the best part of the pig and I've seen some really good deals on them lately.

Sure, if you like jerky.

When I make Pulled Pork It is a week job. Goes a little like this.
    1. Go to a real butcher and get a whole shoulder. Or a couple, I usually do 4.
    2. Apply rub (No you cannot have the recipe) bout 1 cup per 4-5 pounds of meat. not just a little shake and RUB IT IN.
    3. Seal meat in a container and put in fridge for at least 3 days
    4. Cold smoke meat 12-15hrs, meat is deeply smoked but still raw.
    5. By now your nearly out of beer and it's late. So pile meat in a large roaster and cover with foil. Put it in the oven @225F and go to bed.
    6. When you wake up allow meat to cool. You won't need to "pull anything" it's falling apart already. just give a little additional forking. By the time you have everything else ready your guests are here.

Enjoy
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post

I think the loin is the best part of the pig and I've seen some really good deals on them lately.
    Pork loin is too lean for pulled pork- however you can make some great Canadian bacon with it.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post

Hey Jerry try this with a loin.

1. split it lengthways ( like a loaf of french bread )
    2. Take a meat mallet ( not your hand ) and pound it fairly flat.
    3. Mix up your favorite spicy stuffing and leave it a little moist.
    4. spoon into the center of the loin and fold it shut. season the outside with a good rub
    5. wrap and toothpick the loin with bacon from Vermont Smoke and Cure ( peppered or not).
    6. Smoke and or slow cook on the Vermont Casting grill @ 250 or so for 3-4 hours until done.
    7. shoo neighbors away ( or have the War Dept. do it )

8. slice and enjoy after it has rested 20-30 minutes.

Simple enough even for a Yankee Take care.
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Anyone who uses a "electric smokers", an oven, or a gas grill is not really cooking bbq! And no you cant make pulled pork with a loin! use a boston butt / pork shoulder. You need to have a charcoal / wood smoker if you do not have one you cant cook bbq! I have an offset charcoal / wood smoker and to cook pulled pork you just need time, paitence, LUMP Charcoal, wood....on a good size butt shoot for bout 12-15 hrs. temp is important but you dont need to obsess over it. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPIED!

Quote Originally Posted by mjljr13 View Post
    Anyone who uses a "electric smokers", an oven, or a gas grill is not really cooking bbq! You need to have a charcoal / wood smoker if you do not have one you cant cook bbq!

Major BBQ tournaments ban the use of electric smokers because you can get just as good or better BBQ using an electric smoker.

I just wrap wood chunks in tinfoil and place directly on the heating element (metal chip boxes are worthless). The electric smoker keeps a steady temperature and turns out absolutely DELICIOUS BBQ.

Agree about the temp and keeping it simple! Cook at 250-ish for hours and hours results in good to great BBQ!!!

There is no challenge with an electric smoker if you can do it on a true offset / smoker you are truley cooking bbq....electric is cheating!

LOL All I want is GREAT BBQ and if my electric smoker provides it... well, you'd need an army to get my electric smoker away from me cause I absolutely love BBQ!!!!

But yes, that is why they ban the electric smoker.

the key to slow cooking is accurate temperature control.

electric smokers provide the most acurate temperature control.

electric smokers. so easy a yankee can do it.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Has anyone tried injections on a boston butt, or shoulder??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast