Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I despise movie remakes

Just found out they are remakinh M*A*S*H. Coming out next year. It can't be nearly as good as the original. The original was 4 stars.

I think it's a waste of money and time to watch a remake.Who wants to watch a 6hr remake of The Shining with the guy from Wings. Star Trek, Honeymooners with Cedric the Entertainer, Halloween 2, Cape Fear, Insomnia(the original withsubtitles is far better, even though I love Robin Williams), just to name a few.

It's ridiculous to remake a classic. It could never be as goodn no matter what Hollywood does.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    Just found out they are remakinh M*A*S*H. Coming out next year. It can't be nearly as good as the original. The original was 4 stars.

I think it's a waste of money and time to watch a remake.Who wants to watch a 6hr remake of The Shining with the guy from Wings. Star Trek, Honeymooners with Cedric the Entertainer, Halloween 2, Cape Fear, Insomnia(the original withsubtitles is far better, even though I love Robin Williams), just to name a few.

It's ridiculous to remake a classic. It could never be as goodn no matter what Hollywood does.
    As a general I will agree with you but there have been many movies that were remade that have done well some even surpassed the original.
    In fact most movies are to some extent a remake, most story lines have already been written.

For instance:

You’ve got Mail with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan was a remake of "In the Good Old Springtime" with Van Johnson and Judy Garland which was a remake of Little Shop around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart and Irene Dunn and there may have been a previous film in the 20's. I think that Mail was every bit as good as Springtime which was definitely better than Shop.

In the 30's Adolphe Menjou made a movie called Front Page a classic good film, in the early 40's Carry Grant and Rosalind Russell remade it as His Gal Friday which is known as the first fast speak comedy and it is one of the best films ever made, in the 70's Carole Burnett remade the movie as a camp comedy as the Front Page very good movie.

More that the remake was better than the original:
    Ben Hur
    The Wizard of OZ
    The Magnificent Seven
    101 Dalmations although the original was animated
    Gone In Sixty Seconds
    The Italian Job
    The Fly

Ben Hur and The Wizard Of OZ are remakes???

Since when?
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sirjames View Post
    Ben Hur and The Wizard Of OZ are remakes???

Since when?
    Ben Hur was originally made before talkies came into existence. You might be able to get a copy on loan from your local library...I did. And the '59 remake was MUCH better. In the original, lots of wrecks and animal and stunt man injuries. A number of horses were destroyed and the wrecks are all used in the final cut and release.

Forget a remake of the Wizard. It sucks. Original (1939) was much better.

The only other one Al mentions that I cared for...The Fly...I'd say the original was closer to being a cult film and the remake was a more serious SF. First was fair overall. Remake I thought was excellent.

I wasn't aware The Magnificent Seven was remade. I don't see how it gets any better than Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, etc. One of the best westerns ever, IMHSHO.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Ben Hur was originally made before talkies came into existence. You might be able to get a copy on loan from your local library...I did. And the '59 remake was MUCH better. In the original, lots of wrecks and animal and stunt man injuries. A number of horses were destroyed and the wrecks are all used in the final cut and release.

Forget a remake of the Wizard. It sucks. Original (1939) was much better.

The only other one Al mentions that I cared for...The Fly...I'd say the original was closer to being a cult film and the remake was a more serious SF. First was fair overall. Remake I thought was excellent.

I wasn't aware The Magnificent Seven was remade. I don't see how it gets any better than Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, etc. One of the best westerns ever, IMHSHO.
    The Wizard of OZ original was made in the early 30's before judy Garland, i had not thought of the Wiz bad remake.

The Magnificent Seven was a remake of a Japanese movie called the Seven Samuari.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    The Wizard of OZ original was made in the early 30's before judy Garland, i had not thought of the Wiz bad remake.

The Magnificent Seven was a remake of a Japanese movie called the Seven Samuari.
    I didn't know that about Wizard. Who was in it?

Oh, yeah. I knew that. Just forgot. Yup. Remake was 100+ times better.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I'm just saying that there are too many remakes that suck. Not all. Just. Too many.

I saw they rade Fame. The first one is rated 'R'. The newone is 'PG'. PG! Not even PG-13! It can't be nearly as good.

I wouldn't even recommend 'You've Got Mail.'

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I'm just saying that there are too many remakes that suck. Not all. Just. Too many.

I saw they rade Fame. The first one is rated 'R'. The newone is 'PG'. PG! Not even PG-13! It can't be nearly as good.

I wouldn't even recommend 'You've Got Mail.'
    I thought You've Got Mail was very good, well done and brought into modern times very well.

Not sure what you are talking about with Fame unless you are talking about that movie about the Performing Arts high school.

Just saw the trailer for Fame last week.

Regurgitating old scripts don't exactly count. Or else TV shows would be in the same category. Hollywood has run out of new story lines it seems.

Another is I Am Legend with Will Smith, this is a remake of Omega Man with Charelton Heston which was a remake of Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price based on the book I Am Legend in 1954.

Like I said there are very few new ideas just rehashing old ideas, todays writers have even less imagination than those of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Another is I Am Legend with Will Smith, this is a remake of Omega Man with Charelton Heston which was a remake of Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price based on the book I Am Legend in 1954.

Like I said there are very few new ideas just rehashing old ideas, todays writers have even less imagination than those of the past.
    Agreed. That's why I am sick of remakes. And one of the reasons I like M. Night( won't attempt to spell his last name).

If you're going to remake a movie, remake a bomb to tey and improve on it. But don't remake a 4 star movie expecting to top it. GMAFB.

Fun With Dick and Jane is one that was better the second time. Although not a great movie, but certainly better than the original. The original with Jane Fonda was terrible.

A good one to study, concerning remakes, is the story if the HMS Bounty. Jules Vern wrote a short story about it in the late 1800s and then a book was written in the early 1930's .

No less than 4 movies have been made since then: One with Clark Gable/Charles Laughton, one with Trevor Howard/Marlon Brando and one with Mel Gibson/Anthony Hopkins pop22.

These were big name actors. I don't think Hollywood ever sees it as being a "remake" but as interpretation of an original novel, script or film. pop22

Music is no less seen the same. Many people write much music for big name singers, which can be taken as nothing more than an interpretation of the original writer's work. If it's unpublished work, then the singer might take the opportunity to have their name slipped onto the primary publication although sometimes all they really do is "interpret" what has already been written. One of my songwriter teachers said, quoting ZZtop's manager about their refusal to use any published work, "Why would we(the band) give away, potentially, millions in royalties?" leftovers1

This may hold true for films as well. Why use one which may potentially be worth millions in copyright fees when you can get one on the cheap. What is the copyright time limitation of novels and films? I know it was originally 17 years past writer's posthumous, but Disneycorp has been trying to extend it to, like... forever rules1

It's all about separating the consumer from the most amount of dollars for the least amount of dollars. I know a lot of HVAC companies that should be forced to use that as their motto pop22
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    A good one to study, concerning remakes, is the story if the HMS Bounty. Jules Vern wrote a short story about it in the late 1800s and then a book was written in the early 1930's .

No less than 4 movies have been made since then: One with Clark Gable/Charles Laughton, one with Trevor Howard/Marlon Brando and one with Mel Gibson/Anthony Hopkins pop22.

These were big name actors. I don't think Hollywood ever sees it as being a "remake" but as interpretation of an original novel, script or film. pop22

Music is no less seen the same. Many people write much music for big name singers, which can be taken as nothing more than an interpretation of the original writer's work. If it's unpublished work, then the singer might take the opportunity to have their name slipped onto the primary publication although sometimes all they really do is "interpret" what has already been written. One of my songwriter teachers said, quoting ZZtop's manager about their refusal to use any published work, "Why would we(the band) give away, potentially, millions in royalties?" leftovers1

This may hold true for films as well. Why use one which may potentially be worth millions in copyright fees when you can get one on the cheap. What is the copyright time limitation of novels and films? I know it was originally 17 years past writer's posthumous, but Disneycorp has been trying to extend it to, like... forever rules1

It's all about separating the consumer from the most amount of dollars for the least amount of dollars. I know a lot of HVAC companies that should be forced to use that as their motto pop22
    I had forgotten about the Bounty movies all three you mentioned are ecxcellent in their own right and worth watching, of course Mels was the most authentic because the native girls could be shown in their true state which could not be done in the other films.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast