Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need Serious Advice

I wanted to transfer to the residential service dept. from the installation dept. but when I ask to transfer I didn't get any response. So, long story short now that I found a place that will give me the chance to do service and give me some schooling to better myself, now they wanna offer me service so to keep me from leaving. What would you do if you were in this situation? Honest answers please Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACSvc08 View Post
    I wanted to transfer to the residential service dept. from the installation dept. but when I ask to transfer I didn't get any response. So, long story short now that I found a place that will give me the chance to do service and give me some schooling to better myself, now they wanna offer me service so to keep me from leaving. What would you do if you were in this situation? Honest answers please Thanks.

Ask them why. It's possible that you may not have the skills required for service, they may recognize that fact, you may not be aware of it!

I agree with HeyBob ask them.Also ask if they will send you to school to not only better yourself but them as well.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

That's the problem. I do have the skills and they know that. I worked in the service dept before when the installation dept was slow. I have every type of certification except my h-3 license. I asked them all the time why and I get no response. It is like I am talking in another language.

One time I gave my 2 weeks notice to this company because I found a higher paying job. Old job offered me a little more to stay so I took it. 1 month later they fired me. I was out of a job for 4 months and through the holidays.

So its really hard to say

Tough question, tough situation. Is this is an honorable company that does quality work where you'd like to stay a long time? I've always thought the employer / service tech relationship is a two way street. If they train you, that's an incredible asset to you. You owe them; they deserve your loyalty and a return on their investment. The longer you are in service, the more you will realize how much you didn't know in your early years.

Are you a quality installer? Are they reluctant to lose you from that department? Is there enough service work to support your move?

Perhaps you could sit down and talk to them and tell them that you want to work with them and find a way to EARN more money and make them more money at the same time. (They already know you want to MAKE more money.) If they are truly a quality company and you are truly a quality tech, there should be some common ground. Listen to their response.

It baffles me, but on the flip side, there are companies that place little or no value on their employees. I know companies that have lost stellar people because they truly believe profits are generated by keeping the lowest dollar people on staff.

By the way, this is probably not the last time you find yourself at this intersection. Best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

I like the company that I work for now and I don't wanna leave but at the same time, if there is a better opportunity for me somewhere else that is willing to give a chance verus where I am working for that's not willing to do so, I pretty much have no choice.

My best advice to you is ... think it through. Completely.

Think about where you want to be in 5 years? 10 years? Who will help you get to that point?

I am tempted to say go for the company that will further your education and let you work in the service field, but I don't know how financially stable either company is, and how often either one does seasonal hiring and firing.

The company is spread out thru out the US. Also I am making more money with the new company plus a raise after 90 days in writing.

That is always a good thing. Make sure you pursue new education and working on more equipment with every chance you get. The more you know, the better off you are.

Plus you now have more money to spend on beer to celebrate the new learning!

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacguy55 View Post
    Tough question, tough situation. Is this is an honorable company that does quality work where you'd like to stay a long time? I've always thought the employer / service tech relationship is a two way street. If they train you, that's an incredible asset to you. You owe them; they deserve your loyalty and a return on their investment. The longer you are in service, the more you will realize how much you didn't know in your early years.

Are you a quality installer? Are they reluctant to lose you from that department? Is there enough service work to support your move?

Perhaps you could sit down and talk to them and tell them that you want to work with them and find a way to EARN more money and make them more money at the same time. (They already know you want to MAKE more money.) If they are truly a quality company and you are truly a quality tech, there should be some common ground. Listen to their response.

It baffles me, but on the flip side, there are companies that place little or no value on their employees. I know companies that have lost stellar people because they truly believe profits are generated by keeping the lowest dollar people on staff.

By the way, this is probably not the last time you find yourself at this intersection. Best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Well I go in for work today and to find out that they wavied my 2-week notice. So I got all my tools out of the truck and left. I haven't been gone 10 mins without them trashing me behind my back. Now I know that I made the right decision. You think that by me giving my 2-week notice would mean something but I guess not. They really showed their true colors. I shoulda just left wiothout giving a notice if I would have known that this was the way it was going to be.

Lots of companys let you go after you give notice my last job I gave 3 weeks and the told me to go home in 2 hours they paid all three weeks to me that was good

You should look into your states job laws, sometimes when you give a 2 week notice and they let you go, by law there supposed to pay you the 2 weeks.

Good luck with the new job.

Also its good that you gave your t2 weeks because down the road when you go to find another job it shows you did the right thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast