Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A shop with living quarters...

Due to a few likely bad events that are about to take place to an ignorant family member I might be in desperate need of a shop for my tools and race car (they are in Dad's shop now).

Of course after building a house for my ex, that was kind of fun... well, until the losing it part... but I digress...

So.. I'm contemplating... I'd probably build on around 1 acre of land, so space isn't a huge concern. I of course want a decent shop, gotta have the priorities straight ya know! I do know the odds of be building a house, even a cheapish spec like house, and having the funding left over to do a good garage is slim.

I've also toyed with the idea of dragging an older double wide or something on there and live in that "for now" until the shop is done, paid off, etc. Problem is I know how my to-do list goes, and the "for now" stuff tends to be a "for ever" thing.

The idea I've really toyed with is building a good sized building (lets just say 50'x100'), make half the shop, and half the house. I don't need a spectacular house, just a place to crash and call home is good enough for me. Even if I had to please the girlfriend, I know a 2-3 bedroom modest pad is plenty. Plus with the huge shop, I'd end up with most of my goods out there (in the office out there) vs in the house...

The last thought I had was if I build a house on one end, and some how lay it out so it's easily expandable in the future that would kind of be a win win if I chose to down the road.

The downside is of course noise could be annoying when they are tryin to sleep and I'm playing on the race car. But I'm looking for some feedback. Anyone done anything like this that you know? Did they like it? Regret it?
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Wink Build a "Barn"

Have some friend that built a "Barn". There was an option to increase the loft area to 9' ridge. They did now they have a 2400 sq.ft. living space (home) on the second floor and a "Garage" that is 30'x80' on the ground floor. Both are very nice. It was a mostly DIY project but I think the "Barn Package" was pretty cheap compared to a similar sized "House Package" (like less than half)

Know of a few people that did the Shop/House thing and had headaches with codes and zoning. Insurance was high beacuse they called the shop a "Shop" (business rates applied) now if it was simply an "attached garage" that would likely be a different story.

Good luck, sounds like an adventure !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

down this way you can buyrural land and build a barn with living quaters and gett away with no to very low taxes

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    down this way you can buyrural land and build a barn with living quaters and gett away with no to very low taxes
    Agree, I have seen some very nice looking metal 'barns'. You can frame-build into some portion you choose. Businesses do that often, but there are several homes like that.

One acre sounds kinda small, but SD may be different than here.... Metal barn, DIY construction indoors as you see fit, not a bad way to go IMHO.

sounds like you should stop playing, and work more

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Have some friend that built a "Barn". There was an option to increase the loft area to 9' ridge. They did now they have a 2400 sq.ft. living space (home) on the second floor and a "Garage" that is 30'x80' on the ground floor. Both are very nice. It was a mostly DIY project but I think the "Barn Package" was pretty cheap compared to a similar sized "House Package" (like less than half)

Know of a few people that did the Shop/House thing and had headaches with codes and zoning. Insurance was high beacuse they called the shop a "Shop" (business rates applied) now if it was simply an "attached garage" that would likely be a different story.

Good luck, sounds like an adventure !
    I love that idea myself.

I have a friend that after divorce, he had a "pole barn" built, insulated then he partioned off the back for living quarters. He still lives there and has his shop in the front.
    His son-in-law is a plumber so he plumbed it after it was built and I wired it. Then he had the floor poured. It is a good bachelor pad and could be added to if needed.
    "FIGHT CRIME: SHOOT BACK"

Don't know about the "apartment" thing. But here where I am, when me and my dad were still in business, our shop had to be torn down (highway it was on was enlarged, added more lanes). So, my dad has some land where only a duplex was located, in residential area. City wouldn't let him build a shop, since it was considered commercial, where customers would drop in. Instead, my dad opted to build a large "two car garage for the duplex" (suggested by our local inspector, no less). Everyone at city hall knew what it was for, it was what was on the permit that mattered. We have a nice sheet metal shop with lots of space, and two garage doors, plus a walk-in door. Just a thought.

Park a small trailer in the front of the property. Claim that as your living quarters. Build the shop out back with a loft apartment. Keep it on the low. I'm assuming this a a rural area, only way to pull it off.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mike dixon View Post
    sounds like you should stop playing, and work more
    Man I wish I could work more! Having the last 3 weeks without being able to work is making me insane!

I can get more than an acre, about the largest common lots are 5 acres around here. Of course those are pretty far out of town, once you get closer to town the smaller they get. Heck even on the outskirts of town finding a .5 acre lot is almost impossible. So where I'm looking is pretty rural, but also not completely out in the middle of no where.

I'm not sure what the codes are around here for a shop with living quarters, I kind of doubt they are super strict other than adequate fire barrier between shop and house. More stuff I need to check into before I leap to this idea.

I too was thinking pole barn at 1st, but over at the garage forum I ran across I've seen a lot of steel buildings. Not sure which would be more economical to do around here, but the more I see the steel structures the more I like them.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Sounds easy to me!!

Park yourself a nice little modular home on the land and devote your available finances to a nice shop/loft structure.

Please the girlfriend?? Heck, all you need for that is a bed or the kitchen table .

IMO, the shop is much more important than the house.

The friends with the Barn/House bought the thing as a package deal. After footers/Foundation was done the company came out framed the whole thing and put in windows, Metal Roof and metal siding . It was all dried in and ready for whatever thay wanted to do with it. Their Barn/House turned out nicer than my house, I'm a little jelouse.

They put in a 10' garage door and the garage part fits the 32' motor home with room to spare. The whloe thing turned out very nice. It only look a bit like a barn, more like a Colonial with attitude.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast