+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasal Surgery On Thursday

Post Likes

Nasal Surgery On Thursday

So, it's finally here. After struggling for years with allergies and nasal polyps and sinusitis I am finally having the surgery. The docs will be pullin out the bloody polyps with some gadget and then i have to get injected once a week with allergy shots and the chance of success with doing both things is about 90%. People who have had this surgery say they can taste food they never could before and their quality of life is like never before.

I am super excited about this, so keep me in mind on Thursday.....I hate being put to sleep but I know it is worth it!!! yes1

Thanks guys

Post Likes
    adam:

Just curious... Have you had problems with sleep apnea to go along with the nasal troubles?? Best of luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacguy55 View Post
    adam:

Just curious... Have you had problems with sleep apnea to go along with the nasal troubles?? Best of luck.
    Nope I have not. It is basically allergies to everything on this planet which have led to, over the years, sinusitis (continuous sinus infections) which are part of the cause of the polyps. THey told me they can give me allergy shots but if they don't do the surgery and start from "ground zero" there is no point.

Post Likes
    I've really wanted to have that surgery. I went to a nose specialtist a few years ago and he was kind of shocked with how bad of a shape my nose is in. Between the majorly deviated septum, the turbulents are all jacked up, and, well, it's just all bad up there.

He told me I'd feel like a new person after surgery, I'd sleep better, have more energy, not have as bad of allergies as I do, and all sorts of good things. I was completely sold on it until I asked how much. With my previous insurance it would have been like 8k out of pocket. I'm sure it's worth it, but I can enjoy a lot for 8k lol. I'm going to check with my new insurance and see what it'd run, I'd still love to get it.

Be sure to keep us updated on how great it is.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    I've really wanted to have that surgery. I went to a nose specialtist a few years ago and he was kind of shocked with how bad of a shape my nose is in. Between the majorly deviated septum, the turbulents are all jacked up, and, well, it's just all bad up there.

He told me I'd feel like a new person after surgery, I'd sleep better, have more energy, not have as bad of allergies as I do, and all sorts of good things. I was completely sold on it until I asked how much. With my previous insurance it would have been like 8k out of pocket. I'm sure it's worth it, but I can enjoy a lot for 8k lol. I'm going to check with my new insurance and see what it'd run, I'd still love to get it.

Be sure to keep us updated on how great it is.
    WOW, our insurance is awesome. It is $250 out of pocket for surgery and for the weekly allergy shots I will owe $2.10 a week so I can handle that.

Post Likes
    I had the surgery 2.5 years ago. I had continuous sinus infections and polyps, but no allergies to speak of. It was certainly worth having the surgery, I can now smell again, and yes food does taste different. My wife said I stopped snoring for about a month but that did not last.

The important thing is to do the nasal rinse every day, before my surgery I could not even do that it was so plugged up.

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    I have 5 sinus surgeries they told me same thing allergy shots did nothing to help my nasal passages are wider than a freeway but still have drainage. now figuring out it allergy to foods is the issue, wheat mainly

Post Likes
    Best of luck, I am excited for you! Definitely post how it went!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klrogers View Post
    I had the surgery 2.5 years ago. I had continuous sinus infections and polyps, but no allergies to speak of. It was certainly worth having the surgery, I can now smell again, and yes food does taste different. My wife said I stopped snoring for about a month but that did not last.

The important thing is to do the nasal rinse every day, before my surgery I could not even do that it was so plugged up.

Kevin
    that is great news, I am super excited, like I mentioned my only fear is being put to sleep which is silly I know. I love hearing stories like yours, makes me feel like I am doing the right thing. Immediatly after surgery I have to do the rinse and take steroids to keep inflamation down and then do allergy shots so we are attacking this from all sides!!! Was it painful in recovery after the surgery?? Could you tell a difference immediatly?

Post Likes
    My Uncle recently had this done, completely forgot about his...
    Most painful experience of his life! lol just kidding, his went fine, said he was sore the next day a bit, but not bad.

I occasionally do the nasal flush (even with out the surgery) and it does work pretty good, but I must admit I'm not very good about doing it regularly like they recommend.

When I was put under for my wisdom teeth I must admit it was kinda fun. I remember the "count down from 10"... thinking I was going to fight as hard as I could and make it to the lower digits... Yeah, I made it to 9 and I was out.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Well guys it is 2:34 AM and I am awake due to basically sleeping all day from the anesthesia and loritabs

The surgery went off without a hitch. I am already breathing better with all this gauze up my nose than I was yesterday morning before the surgery. The doctor told my wife after surgery that my sinuses that run between the sides of the nose and your eyes were so clogged that he couldnt even find the opening to them. He went in and cleaned them completely out as well as the ones under the eyes.

I am so optimistic and thanks for all the encouragement!!! (this is me pushing my polyps off a cliff LOL)

Post Likes
    this is a good source of amusement for insomniacs.

good to hear all is well

what happens if you have to sneeze?

had nasal surgery done several years ago to correct bone growth............not sneezing was the hard part.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    It never amazes me to find things here...Tuesday the 25th I went to the local ENT guy and am scheduled for the same swollen turbulents, sinusitis, polyps on 9/8. Glad to know I'm not alone. Looking for relief.
    adamste81, keep us posted . I'm curious how it turns out for you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thrashme View Post
    It never amazes me to find things here
    I know man this forum is awesome with a ton of great guys & gals, guess there is a reason they say this is the best trade in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by thrashme View Post
    Tuesday the 25th I went to the local ENT guy and am scheduled for the same swollen turbulents, sinusitis, polyps on 9/8. Glad to know I'm not alone. Looking for relief.
    adamste81, keep us posted . I'm curious how it turns out for you.
    Do the surgery man!! I was nervous and almost didnt do it but now 24 hours later am so glad i did. There is almost no pain, although the wife insists I keep taking the loritab just incase it comes back so I give in and take it

I am on steroids for swelling, antibiotics, pain meds and a saline spray every 4 hours. I am not sure how bad your sinuses are but basically I had to live on decongestants and nose spray and now I hope I never have to use them again. I also am doing allergy shots once a week to help with that, dont know if you have allergies but if you do get the shots after the surgery....the success rate goes from like 85% to 95% if you do. (but only if you have allergies also)

Post Likes
    Getting the nasal tampons out tomorrow morning, i really hope this doesnt hurt and i cant wait to see how much better i can breathe once this gauze is out of my nose!!!

I will let you know how it goes, allergy shots start tomorrow also.

Post Likes
    My father had it done after suffering for years with problems.............he feels 100% better! Get er done!
    KX500......the original big green meanie

Post Likes
    Got the gauze out, not very pleasant. Said everything looks good, just have to keep irrigating the sinuses and taking allergy shots and I may be able to breathe now........first meal post-op was Taco Bell, yummy

Post Likes
    You sure you wanted taco bell with a new sniffer????

My husband has chronic sinusitis too along with seasonal allergies (pick the season, he's allergic to it) and frequent sinus infections. He's taking Singulair, Flonase and something else I can't remember along with over the counter stuff too.
    He had one side 'rotor rootered' as he calls it, back in '99 or 2000 due to issues from an impacted wisdom tooth. He was better (on that side) for about a year or two. Recovery from the surgery wasn't really bad, for him anyway.
    Men, some of you can be such babies when you're sick!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    You sure you wanted taco bell with a new sniffer????

My husband has chronic sinusitis too along with seasonal allergies (pick the season, he's allergic to it) and frequent sinus infections. He's taking Singulair, Flonase and something else I can't remember along with over the counter stuff too.
    He had one side 'rotor rootered' as he calls it, back in '99 or 2000 due to issues from an impacted wisdom tooth. He was better (on that side) for about a year or two. Recovery from the surgery wasn't really bad, for him anyway.
    Men, some of you can be such babies when you're sick!
    Did he go under general anesthesia? If so he probably had the same thing I did. Flonase and Nasonex are good, but you have to hit the underlying issues first, then treat them with the sprays which is hopefully what I had done this time. Only time will tell, it hurts pretty bad right now after they took the bandages out of my nostrils (honestly they were like nasal tampons ) but they said full results wont be until about 2-3 weeks. I still have 70 loritab just incase

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    Got the gauze out, not very pleasant. Said everything looks good, just have to keep irrigating the sinuses and taking allergy shots and I may be able to breathe now........first meal post-op was Taco Bell, yummy
    Hence forth we shall refer to you as.............. THE Nose

Then we can say......................" Only ...The ........Nose ..............Knows.........

Of course you must First Graduate School, get a Job and a Nate Cert...and have twenty five years experience..........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in