Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier 30gxn screw- discharge gas therm fail

Ok the the back-story is the chiller had 0 maint.

Apparently some retards cleaned the cond "air cooled" coils w/ highly acid coil cleaner and left it on way to long which killed the coil, they prob were messing with the navigator and changed the fan seq. Then attempted jump out the fan relays using misc outputs and then bypassed the hi press sw. and then "not kidding" used a resistor on the discharge temp sens! and dumped the charge via press rlf valves, So new press rlf valves repaired press sw ect ect unit is as it should.

Unit runs for a day or two and goes off on alarm T070 = Discharge gas thermister fail or "its not bad just replaced checked ohm'ed out" or temp >210 deg f for 30 seconds yeah it's that one!

The unit is short about 15/20 lbs making the discharge gas hot but can't add gas head is 250psi r-134a and it's a screw! The coils are as clean as their going to get... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. YEAH I know they should replace the coils units 5 years old. It's an EXV in the econimizer shells btw, all fans r 100%

Carrier screw chiller 30gxn version 5

suction psi= 70
    sat suction= 41.2
    Econ press= 67.8
    disch psi= 253
    sat cond temp= 147.3 F

Discharge temp = 190 deg F <------every once n a while >210 for 30 seconds.

What is your:
    DSH
    EXV%
    Are you sure your suction pressure was greater than your economiser pressure?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Yes was back today the carrier agrees that the exv is opening so far to cool the motor so no press diff and basically hot gas is going through the whole unit my discharge superheat is 50 deg f, they are just going to have to put new coils in. Unless someone is going to stand there and hose the coils down every time it gets close to 210 heh I would not put it past them. Econ press was 67 psi suction was 41psi can't add more gas liquid already modulating/ flashing, I had also realized there are no compartments in the fan/coil area so b1 compressor coils are ok and the air is moving thru them and not pulling air from the a1 coils that are fouled, in other words the air is taking the path of least resistance making it worse.

Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    I had also realized there are no compartments in the fan/coil area so b1 compressor coils are ok and the air is moving thru them and not pulling air from the a1 coils that are fouled, in other words the air is taking the path of least resistance making it worse.
    HUH ?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

The cond coils are shot so no transfer heat across the coils resulting in hot discharge temp and I can't charge the unit anymore to get my discharge superheat from 50 degrees F and the exv is opening up too much to try to cool the motor so everything is out of whack. I'm s.o.l. and need to replace the cond coils

How long does it run until the DGT trips it ? Are your oil filters clogging up ?
    UA 100

Why do you ask about the oil filters yes they are the drop is about 28 psi which exceeds limit, It runs for about 4 hours then trips.

Just curious if you changed the oil filters and if so what was clogging them up?
    UA 100

I just took over the job I don't know what might have clogged them up we have scheduled to replace the oil strainer, oil filters, oil and hopefully the coils and replace that refrigerant strainer with a high cap core on the LL.

Well hopefully your compressor is still good.
    UA 100

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Just curious if you changed the oil filters and if so what was clogging them up?
    Those filters should be changed almost on an annual basis.The filtration on those filters are so good that they plug up thru normal use.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    I just took over the job I don't know what might have clogged them up we have scheduled to replace the oil strainer, oil filters, oil and hopefully the coils and replace that refrigerant strainer with a high cap core on the LL.
    If you replace the strainer with a drier core you will have a problem. The strainer was used because the drier core will restrict too much. Some of the chillers used a strainer and a core. If you need to filter the refrigerant do it a different way. You can filter it off to the side like we do on centrifugals. The oil filters was suppose to be changed after a few hundred hours after start up. Alot of them never got done.

I agree with freonrick,you cant change the strainer and replace it with a drier core.Do you know what the discharge gas thermister is reading when it gives the alarm?Sometimes it hasnt actually failed , but goes out of range.This might be what is happening here considering the history with the coils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast