What size Utility closet?

We are in the process of having our house plans drawn. We are building a one story home approx 3000 sq ft. The current drawing has a utility closet that is 2'6" x 8'. This seems too narrow. How big should this closet be to fit the air handler? I know they vary in size, but I just would like to find out a mnimum width.
    Thanks

It might fit, but I'd prefer 42" width (10"-12" free space on either side of the unit would be best if it's possible). You really need to talk to your own AC installer about it though. Also, the AC closet needs to be for the AC equipment only - no brooms, mops, cleaners, chemicals, dogfood, etc.

You should allow for future equipment changes. In 20 years the units may be bigger.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Anything else going in there, like water heater, softener, humidifier, dehumidifier, electric service panel, etc., etc? We have an 8x8 equipment room, not closet, with two inswing doors, and nobody is complaining about too much room. Quite the opposite, in fact.

12' X 12' would make any HVAC co. very happy with u

5x5 sounds good. 32" minimum door

had one guy wanted to know size of unit and duct. ended up with wall/duct/furnace/wall w/o space to get playing card between them. coil was partly above doorframe. Sucks when that unit dies...
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Thumbs up Building Science is now MODERN

Quote Originally Posted by bebe72 View Post
    We are in the process of having our house plans drawn. We are building a one story home approx 3000 sq ft. The current drawing has a utility closet that is 2'6" x 8'. This seems too narrow. How big should this closet be to fit the air handler? I know they vary in size, but I just would like to find out a mnimum width.
    Thanks
    2 Dual Fuel Heat Pumps in the ATTIC which is 'semi air conditioned' with spray foam on the underside of the roof.

Provide sufficient opening and easy access

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...wner_resources
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

code

Quote Originally Posted by bebe72 View Post
    Thanks
    The code here in Tucson requires an additional 12" added to the units dimension in new construction. For example you have a 26" wide air handler, therefore your minimum width would be 38" finished. This also gives your installing contractor enough room as long as he isnt trying to squeeze some duct down along side the unit.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

heaterman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    You need enough room to be able to get past any appliances and utilities and allow for removal and replacement of same. 8' seems long while 2'6" seems narrow, alot depends on what all is to be installed and in what orientation. All equipment will also list minimum clearances. Be aware that local and state codes may apply.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM