+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It only took 2 years

Post Likes

It only took 2 years

I finished school over 2 years ago and I finally found a job in the HVAC trade. It's apartment maintenance so it won't all be HVAC related but it makes me happy to know that my schooling and a year and a half of my life wasn't wasted. I just hope that after that long of a period of time I didn't forget everything.

If any of you guys have ever done this type of work, what can I expect?

Post Likes

APT Maintenance

Good luck with the work. If you know HVAC then apt maintenance should not be an issue. Some electrical and plumbing would be about as tough as it might get.
    But seeing how you would not be competing with your employer I would see what it takes to get licensed to do HVAC business in you area and begin selling tune ups and service. If you find full time HVAC service or install work your boss will not like you competing with him.

Tom

Post Likes
    I worked in apartment maintaince for 3 months when I first moved to Denver. I was orginally hired because they need all their boilers and zoneing valves brought up to par. After getting the heating system working good and getting their pool fixed. The only thing there was for me to do was sheetrock, and carpentry work and I ended up posting my resume on monster and got called by the company recruter I work for now. Good luck with your new job I hope it works out for you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I worked in apartment maintaince for 3 months when I first moved to Denver. I was orginally hired because they need all their boilers and zoneing valves brought up to par. After getting the heating system working good and getting their pool fixed. The only thing there was for me to do was sheetrock, and carpentry work and I ended up posting my resume on monster and got called by the company recruter I work for now. Good luck with your new job I hope it works out for you.

I'm sure that I will be doing all the things that you mention that have nothing to do with HVAC but it will give me a chance to learn some new skills. For an entry level job that starts off at 15 dollars and hour, I'm not going to complain.

Maybe now I will start trying to use this site to learn something instead of using it to vent my frustrations about not being able to find a job in this field.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    I'm sure that I will be doing all the things that you mention that have nothing to do with HVAC but it will give me a chance to learn some new skills. For an entry level job that starts off at 15 dollars and hour, I'm not going to complain.

Maybe now I will start trying to use this site to learn something instead of using it to vent my frustrations about not being able to find a job in this field.
    Yep just jump on anytime you have a question about something or need some advice. What kind of HVAC equipment do these apartments use?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Yep just jump on anytime you have a question about something or need some advice. What kind of HVAC equipment do these apartments use?
    It's a 48 unit complex and they use split systems and natural gas. I noticed while driving though that not all of them use the same equipment. Some of the units looked new and some looked as though they were 30 years old.

I think that this is a good thing. It will give me a chance to get experience on a variety of equipment.

Post Likes
    Hey Joe apartment maintenance isn't to bad it's got its't perks, last winter a girl met me at the in her bra&panties cause the heat wouldn't shut off. Then you get the pigs with a leaky sink drain you open cabinet door and roaches run every where. We have about 750 apts we take care of now I do all the hvac and appliances, so I see a lot of pig styes don't set your tool bag down or you'll care them citters home with ya. All in all I like it.

Post Likes
    And when you open the P trap under the kitchen sink, hold your breath the entire time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPropHVAC View Post
    Hey Joe apartment maintenance isn't to bad it's got its't perks, last winter a girl met me at the in her bra&panties cause the heat wouldn't shut off. Then you get the pigs with a leaky sink drain you open cabinet door and roaches run every where. We have about 750 apts we take care of now I do all the hvac and appliances, so I see a lot of pig styes don't set your tool bag down or you'll care them citters home with ya. All in all I like it.
    The guy that I will be working for lives at the complex and is very picky about who he lets live there. It's an older apartment complex but seems to be very clean and well taken care of. Hopefully I won't run into too many of the roach problems.

By the way, was the girl good looking?

Post Likes
    Been doing apt maintenance for over 25 years you learn a lot about everything and you have to teach yourself to do things but you will come up with some wild stories to tell

Post Likes
    Yes, sweet

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in