Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St.louis metro area
    Posts
    315

    It only took 2 years

    I finished school over 2 years ago and I finally found a job in the HVAC trade. It's apartment maintenance so it won't all be HVAC related but it makes me happy to know that my schooling and a year and a half of my life wasn't wasted. I just hope that after that long of a period of time I didn't forget everything.

    If any of you guys have ever done this type of work, what can I expect?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    5

    APT Maintenance

    Good luck with the work. If you know HVAC then apt maintenance should not be an issue. Some electrical and plumbing would be about as tough as it might get.
    But seeing how you would not be competing with your employer I would see what it takes to get licensed to do HVAC business in you area and begin selling tune ups and service. If you find full time HVAC service or install work your boss will not like you competing with him.

    Tom

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,207
    I worked in apartment maintaince for 3 months when I first moved to Denver. I was orginally hired because they need all their boilers and zoneing valves brought up to par. After getting the heating system working good and getting their pool fixed. The only thing there was for me to do was sheetrock, and carpentry work and I ended up posting my resume on monster and got called by the company recruter I work for now. Good luck with your new job I hope it works out for you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St.louis metro area
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I worked in apartment maintaince for 3 months when I first moved to Denver. I was orginally hired because they need all their boilers and zoneing valves brought up to par. After getting the heating system working good and getting their pool fixed. The only thing there was for me to do was sheetrock, and carpentry work and I ended up posting my resume on monster and got called by the company recruter I work for now. Good luck with your new job I hope it works out for you.

    I'm sure that I will be doing all the things that you mention that have nothing to do with HVAC but it will give me a chance to learn some new skills. For an entry level job that starts off at 15 dollars and hour, I'm not going to complain.

    Maybe now I will start trying to use this site to learn something instead of using it to vent my frustrations about not being able to find a job in this field.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cool View Post
    I'm sure that I will be doing all the things that you mention that have nothing to do with HVAC but it will give me a chance to learn some new skills. For an entry level job that starts off at 15 dollars and hour, I'm not going to complain.

    Maybe now I will start trying to use this site to learn something instead of using it to vent my frustrations about not being able to find a job in this field.
    Yep just jump on anytime you have a question about something or need some advice. What kind of HVAC equipment do these apartments use?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St.louis metro area
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    Yep just jump on anytime you have a question about something or need some advice. What kind of HVAC equipment do these apartments use?
    It's a 48 unit complex and they use split systems and natural gas. I noticed while driving though that not all of them use the same equipment. Some of the units looked new and some looked as though they were 30 years old.

    I think that this is a good thing. It will give me a chance to get experience on a variety of equipment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highland Il.
    Posts
    168
    Hey Joe apartment maintenance isn't to bad it's got its't perks, last winter a girl met me at the in her bra&panties cause the heat wouldn't shut off. Then you get the pigs with a leaky sink drain you open cabinet door and roaches run every where. We have about 750 apts we take care of now I do all the hvac and appliances, so I see a lot of pig styes don't set your tool bag down or you'll care them citters home with ya. All in all I like it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    440
    And when you open the P trap under the kitchen sink, hold your breath the entire time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    St.louis metro area
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPropHVAC View Post
    Hey Joe apartment maintenance isn't to bad it's got its't perks, last winter a girl met me at the in her bra&panties cause the heat wouldn't shut off. Then you get the pigs with a leaky sink drain you open cabinet door and roaches run every where. We have about 750 apts we take care of now I do all the hvac and appliances, so I see a lot of pig styes don't set your tool bag down or you'll care them citters home with ya. All in all I like it.
    The guy that I will be working for lives at the complex and is very picky about who he lets live there. It's an older apartment complex but seems to be very clean and well taken care of. Hopefully I won't run into too many of the roach problems.

    By the way, was the girl good looking?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    tn.
    Posts
    199
    Been doing apt maintenance for over 25 years you learn a lot about everything and you have to teach yourself to do things but you will come up with some wild stories to tell

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Highland Il.
    Posts
    168
    Yes, sweet

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event