Dehumidifer Options

I've got a 5k square foot house with a moldy finished basement, RH in the 70% range. A 55-pint portable dehumidifier installed in the basement has been unable to get the humidity below 55% during 24 hours of operation.

What options should I consider next? The thermostat is set at 77F, but I'm not sure if lowering it would be an efficient way to reduce the humidity.

Unfortunatly unless you invest in an energy recovery type desicant unit (which they may be making now residentially) sub cooling is your cheapest option. I would try droping your set point to force more latent capacity at your evaporator coil. Usually dehumidifiers have built in reheat so you dont have to keep the temperature like a meat locker. Basicaly crank it up. Is your basement sealed? Sounds like you might be getting moisture migration through the construction if its being that stuborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldy1 View Post
    I've got a 5k square foot house with a moldy finished basement, RH in the 70% range. A 55-pint portable dehumidifier installed in the basement has been unable to get the humidity below 55% during 24 hours of operation.

What options should I consider next? The thermostat is set at 77F, but I'm not sure if lowering it would be an efficient way to reduce the humidity.
    A large home needs a large dehumidifier. Check out units like the Santa Fe line. The largest unit is 150 pint per day that uses <8 amps of electricity. This is 3 X the dehumidification capacity of the 55 pint unit that you are using now with 50% increase electical useage. These units need a gravity drain or a condensate pump. <50%RH is must to stop mold. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

I most admire the Thermastor line for its energy efficiency. However that 4.1 kwh/pint figure for your Royal BDH-550 is one of the best of the other brands. Is it reasonably quiet and have you had any chance to evaluate its longevity? Do a Google search on "Santa Fe Max Dry Dual XT" if you want to view the top-of-the-line model Teddy Bear speaks of. I'd like to have one of those of my own someday, but in the meantime I am using a Santa Fe RX and it serves well.

Best wishes -- Pstu

Thanks all of you for your input. The unit I have is still struggling to keep the RH under 60%, which could be +/-5%. The noise it makes is too loud on the high fan setting if I'm in the room with it. I'll probably move up to a 150 pint unit after having a pro verify that my A/C and house are not at fault for the humidity levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldy1 View Post
    Thanks all of you for your input. The unit I have is still struggling to keep the RH under 60%, which could be +/-5%. The noise it makes is too loud on the high fan setting if I'm in the room with it. I'll probably move up to a 150 pint unit after having a pro verify that my A/C and house are not at fault for the humidity levels.
    If you must be in the same room as the dehumidifier, use the Santa Fe RX. It is the less noiser of the dehus. The Santa Fe 150 pint needs to be in an ajoining room to the occupied space because of noise levels. The SF 150 is capable of maintaining <50%RH in upto 3,500 sqft and is the most efficient dehu made. It removes 7.9 pints per KWH.For specs, thermastor.com Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"