Thread: York YK Vane

York YK Vane

Got called to customers today for "Vane switch not closed" on Keyless panel, checked Vane actuator to find motor still had to travel about 20 degrees of travel to close switch once linkage was disconnected. Fairly certain that the actuator stop position hadn't moved so compared linkage with identical unit right next to this one and it appears as though either the internal or external taper on the vane shaft had slipped during operation. Loosened crank arm bolt on vane shaft (not enough for the "Oh Crap" scenario) popped crankarm just enough to rotate back in position and tightened bolt back to York specs. Never ran across this issue before, any of you Yorkies ever come across this??

Happens on occasion, normally when something starts causing the vanes to bind during operation. I'd loosen the thru-bolt and go back and torque it all according to the service manual. then put it on-line and see if it does it again. Also check for the binding during operation. You may need to pull the vanes and check them.

Thanks for the reply, the slipping action was the only possibility I could come up with but seemed hard to believe, the thru-bolt is re-tourqued and I guess we'll have to wait and see if it happens again, too bad there's no access to the vanes without splitting the scroll out, oh well might be a good excuse for a winter major inspection as it has never been apart and it shredded a thrust bearing a couple of years back in the middle of the hot stuff.

this machine may have been one affected by this bulliten
    Attached Files Attached Files