30 year old GE central unit 5- ton

how much freon would a 5-ton general electric central air unit hold the unit is around 30 years old. started with a suction pressure of 60 and head pressure of 250. to get it to 70 on suction pressure had to put 10 lbs of freon in. the air handler, heat exchanger and evaporator are as big as a rerfigerator.
    makes sense that a bigger evaporator would hold more freon but that much?
    thanks gwalk

sorry dude no diy, read the rules!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

I wouldn't worry about how much refrigerant it's supposed to hold, because the charge probably changes the second you finish topping it off. (leaks)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

O.M.G. Stop adding refrigerant before you hurt somebody! Get someone to check it out who understands superheat, subcooling, etc.
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Call a service company.

Sorry, this is not a DIY site. We are not allowed to help.

If you are in the trade, get your post count up to 15, and apply for pro membership.
    Once accepted, you'll have access to the pro tech forums, and educational forums.

Thread closed
    Last edited by HeyBob; 08-17-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added the o to count.........oops! ROTFLMAO
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?