+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made in China, NO NOT SPORLAN TOO!!!

Post Likes

Frown Counterfits. (was: Made in China, NO NOT SPORLAN TOO!!!)

I was doing a search for a Sporlan suction filter, my favorite brand that I used and trusted for over 25 years, and this is one of the links I found.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/20...ion_Valve.html

If things keep going this way, we will be making "Call Backs" 24/7.

Crap like this is enough to make you wanna give up and quit this trade.
    Last edited by EugeneTheJeep; 08-17-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

Post Likes
    You've probably already installed some, you don't even know about. Who knows what the manufactures are using these last few years?

Post Likes
    I bought a couple ALCO take-apart txv's the other day and was very surprised to see "made in china" stamped on them as well. I guess Emerson is outsourcing them now that they bought out ALCO.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Post Likes
    I guess they are all making a killing on selling inferior made parts at prices that are meant for quality made in the USA parts?

Post Likes
    Why do you think A-S/Trane R22 TXVs are dropping like flies?

Post Likes
    It disappoints me, the last thing the american economy needs is MORE stuff outsourced.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
    It disappoints me, the last thing the american economy needs is MORE stuff outsourced.
    The smart thing to do, is try and figure these type problems in your bids.
    I don't think things are gonna change in the near future.

Post Likes
    Job security

sucks for people who had jobs in manufacturing

great for us

Post Likes
    Its not like they worry about infringing on trademarks over there, they have started their own company and called it The Hop-Sing Sporlan Company
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    I was doing a search for a Sporlan suction filter, my favorite brand that I used and trusted for over 25 years, and this is one of the links I found.
    Hangzhou/Sikelan has been copying Sporlan, Alco, and Parker products for years. Sporlan/Parker has no association with them, and I'm certain Alco/Emerson Flow Controls has no association with them either.

I had the occasion to meet with them during the China refrigeration show in Shanghai last year. They were interested in my opinion on well they were copying our products.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes
    Andy, are you saying that all Sporlan TXVs are still made in the USA? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really want to know. I try to buy anything U.S. made that I can.

Post Likes
    I believe Andy is right, if you go to the http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...extfmt=default

and select China, it show no affiliation to Hangzhou/Sikelan. That makes me feel better, now how to get around all of the Chinese motors??

Post Likes
    I just found out that I was made in China
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001 View Post
    I believe Andy is right
    ROTFLMAO!!!!

you believe he is right???

LMAO
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHVAC View Post
    Andy, are you saying that all Sporlan TXVs are still made in the USA? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I really want to know. I try to buy anything U.S. made that I can.
    All Sporlan products are currently manufactured in Washington, MO with the exception of our CDS electric epr valves made specifically for Carrier Transicold (they are made in Singapore for Transicold's Singapore manufactring plant), the ESX electric expansion valve (Parker Korea), and some silly stuff like ball valves, accumulators, and receivers that we picked up due to our Parker acquisition.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes
    I was hoping they were being made in China. I just got done changing a 5 ton valve out for the second time. What I really don't like is not knowing how many valves I now have in parts stock that are no better than the ones that fail. Working a week before failing really makes it nice

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I was hoping they were being made in China. I just got done changing a 5 ton valve out for the second time. What I really don't like is not knowing how many valves I now have in parts stock that are no better than the ones that fail. Working a week before failing really makes it nice
    And what was the likely cause of failure of the TEV, for the second time? It's quite easy to identify most failures that are truly TEV failures in the field. Most system problems that are attributed to TEV failures are not TEV failures.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Schoen View Post
    And what was the likely cause of failure of the TEV, for the second time? It's quite easy to identify most failures that are truly TEV failures in the field. Most system problems that are attributed to TEV failures are not TEV failures.
    Another bad TEV that was in stock and failed for the same reason as the first. I am sure you are aware of the problem.

After recently identifying and correcting several TEV failure modes, testing has revealed
    a new failure mode in certain R-22 Indoor Thermal Expansion Valves (TEVs),
    built by Sporlan. The supplier of the ballast material allowed moisture to be introduced
    into the sensor bulb circuit portion of the power element of the valves. Testing of the
    affected valves revealed that over time, reaction to this moisture reduces the response to
    temperature changes. Although failed valves may exhibit effects on system performance
    similar to previously identified failure modes, the root cause is not related. This bulletin
    will affect only R-22 Sporlan indoor TEVs that fail to maintain correct superheat control.
    The action described in this bulletin is not being taken to address a safety concern.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Another bad TEV that was in stock and failed for the same reason as the first. I am sure you are aware of the problem.

After recently identifying and correcting several TEV failure modes, testing has revealed
    a new failure mode in certain R-22 Indoor Thermal Expansion Valves (TEVs),
    built by Sporlan. The supplier of the ballast material allowed moisture to be introduced
    into the sensor bulb circuit portion of the power element of the valves. Testing of the
    affected valves revealed that over time, reaction to this moisture reduces the response to
    temperature changes. Although failed valves may exhibit effects on system performance
    similar to previously identified failure modes, the root cause is not related. This bulletin
    will affect only R-22 Sporlan indoor TEVs that fail to maintain correct superheat control.
    The action described in this bulletin is not being taken to address a safety concern.
    It is good that you had a basis to make your claim.

The date codes of these valves were established and communicated a long ago. Why you would have any of these valves in stock now is perplexing. The problem has been corrected quite some time ago.

The new ballast material was a Sporlan innovation, and made in America.

Post Likes
    What is even more perplexing is my DSO saying they may still have some in stock. I don't replace many so I don't know how long I have had it. All the problems we have had were on units installed last fall which worked on start up. This spring I started getting calls and find out there is the bulletin out dated January 15 that provided the information above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in