Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does the Cheetah and the human have in common?

Quickie from Wiki: “The cheetah is a vulnerable species. Out of all the big cats, it is the least able to adapt to new environments. It has always proved difficult to breed in captivity, although recently a few zoos have managed to succeed at this. Once widely hunted for its fur, the cheetah now suffers more from the loss of both habitat and prey.”

The cheetah has adapted to its environment by making itself faster and faster. Unfortunately these adaptations have placed it in jeopardy of extinction because in the process of becoming faster it has lost its ability to protect its kill from other animals. The cheetah has become too specialized and thus faces extinction.

I would say that we humans have a similar problem. We have developed specialization to the extent that we place all of our focus upon technology with little knowledge or appreciation of the human sciences that will make it possible for us to manage this high tech world that we have created.

Both the cheetah and the human species face the same paradox. They both have so finely tuned their adaption to the world that their specialization will mean their extinction.

I suspect that within the next 200 years we humans will most likely bring an end to our species and possibly the end to all life on this planet.

I think that the only way to prevent this is for our species to become much more intellectually sophisticated than it is now; I see little evidence that this will occur. The problems we face today are enormous and while we have the brain power to prevent this we may well not have the necessary character traits to do so. I suspect our species is a dead end species.

Do you think that the human species might extinguish it self within a few centuries?

1-wiki......who gives a fat rats aaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzz what they say

natural selection
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

That was a waste of 60 seconds of my life. Cobert, you really aint that gullible are you???
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Yeah Cropduster, A country boy will survive. Not a bad read cobert. Thanks for sharing.

And theres bunches of us. I could build shelter and live off the land any day.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    And theres bunches of us. I could build shelter and live off the land any day.
    Me too.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

Sure would be easier with a girlie around. The reason to survive. Yep!

Twilli used to be cheata
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli used to be cheata
    Somehow I was expecting that! Evolution at it's best!

Quote Originally Posted by oroy54 View Post
    Sure would be easier with a girlie around. The reason to survive. Yep!

If you had no address Roy, you could sneak up on unsuspecting girls ALL THE TIME!
    Walter Matthau

human brain = least pre-programmed instincts = adaptability.

No, Twili usetabee a chimpanzee, like the rest of us.

"A new report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests that the common value of >98% similarity of DNA between chimp and humans is incorrect.2 Roy Britten, author of the study, puts the figure at about 95% when insertions and deletions are included. "

Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post

Quickie from Wiki: “The cheetah is a vulnerable species. Out of all the big cats, it is the least able to adapt to new environments. It has always proved difficult to breed in captivity, although recently a few zoos have managed to succeed at this. Once widely hunted for its fur, the cheetah now suffers more from the loss of both habitat and prey.”

The cheetah has adapted to its environment by making itself faster and faster. Unfortunately these adaptations have placed it in jeopardy of extinction because in the process of becoming faster it has lost its ability to protect its kill from other animals. The cheetah has become too specialized and thus faces extinction.

I would say that we humans have a similar problem. We have developed specialization to the extent that we place all of our focus upon technology with little knowledge or appreciation of the human sciences that will make it possible for us to manage this high tech world that we have created.

Both the cheetah and the human species face the same paradox. They both have so finely tuned their adaption to the world that their specialization will mean their extinction.

I suspect that within the next 200 years we humans will most likely bring an end to our species and possibly the end to all life on this planet.

I think that the only way to prevent this is for our species to become much more intellectually sophisticated than it is now; I see little evidence that this will occur. The problems we face today are enormous and while we have the brain power to prevent this we may well not have the necessary character traits to do so. I suspect our species is a dead end species.

Do you think that the human species might extinguish it self within a few centuries?
    You second post, really? no helllo guys hows it goin, just bam.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    You second post, really? no helllo guys hows it goin, just bam.

LOL! That was my thought, then I looked up post #1.

A quote from "The Sense of Beauty"????????????????

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....32#post4172332

Cut-n-paster without much to say.
    Walter Matthau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast