Thread: low air flow

low air flow

im working on a comfortmaker 80% furnace, 3 ton of air, my coil keeps freezing, my static pressure is .47, can you help? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike dixon View Post
    im working on a comfortmaker 80% furnace, 3 ton of air, my coil keeps freezing, my static pressure is .47, can you help? thanks
    You need to call for a service Tech!

The question is; how was the .47-ESP (External Static Pressure), arrived at?

The blower wheel blades could be filled with lint resulting in the 0.47 ESP, & thus the low airflow, also could have a partially plugged evaporator coil.

If airflow is real low, then that is too high an ESP.

Tech will need to check the blower wheel blades & the evaporator coil & the blower motor & run cap.

A freezing coil is a serious situation & could cause liquid slugging damage to the compressor! - Darrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 08-14-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Serious costly damage to compressor - possible

If your Comfortmaker is 14 years old like mine was last Sept., your indoor coil is leaking and shot so you are low on refrigerant. Thats my guess.

The first thing a tech might do is take a look at the indoor coil, the end where the copper tubing makes a 180 might have a shiny, oily residue on them mixed with condensation. This is the oil thats leaks out along with refrigerant. Touch it, rub it between your fingers. If oily, call a tech and break open your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by wraujr View Post
    If your Comfortmaker is 14 years old like mine was last Sept., your indoor coil is leaking and shot so you are low on refrigerant. Thats my guess.

The first thing a tech might do is take a look at the indoor coil, the end where the copper tubing makes a 180 might have a shiny, oily residue on them mixed with condensation.

This is the oil thats leaks out along with refrigerant. Touch it, rub it between your fingers. If oily, call a tech and break open your wallet.
    I read, in my mind, low airflow in his post; reading it again it was not there!

I'm brain dead this morning... ?
    Well, "low air flow," was in the title of his post.
    However, did he mean it had low airflow before freezing up or after freezing up; & when was the the static pressure taken?
    Maybe part of my problem was an imprecise non-definitive post? Yep, Excuses real or imagined.

Wraujr, You appear to be on target with your excellent post!

If it's low on refrigerant it won't slug the compressor, but at some stages of low charge it can overheat the compressor.
    -Darrell
    Last edited by udarrell; 08-14-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Further Clarification...

His post brought back "fond" and "expensive" memories.....