Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 39 of 39
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    34
    [ deleted by Boss
    - your post has nothing to do with this thread, please consider where you are posting before doing it.

    Thank you

    Boss]

  2. #28

    to me.......

    sure all the foil faced duct wrap and metal jacket flex makes it look high speed.......but......this looks like a typical goodman install to me.....look at the plumbers tape holding up the 2 by 4's that are holding up the furnace.....a little unistrut and 3/8 rod would clean that up and make it look a bit more professional.......and the plumbers tape holding up the ductwork......i'm sure the instructions want a little more than half inch plumbers tape holding up that duct....i highly recommend 2 inch wide webbing straps....just a few things i noticed.....but the silver all looks good.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: to me.......

    Originally posted by jimbellings
    sure all the foil faced duct wrap and metal jacket flex makes it look high speed.......but......this looks like a typical goodman install to me.....look at the plumbers tape holding up the 2 by 4's that are holding up the furnace.....a little unistrut and 3/8 rod would clean that up and make it look a bit more professional.......and the plumbers tape holding up the ductwork......i'm sure the instructions want a little more than half inch plumbers tape holding up that duct....i highly recommend 2 inch wide webbing straps....just a few things i noticed.....but the silver all looks good.
    Not that the picture is that great but that is
    3/8 welded chain holding the air handler ( not furnace )
    The main supports for the duct work are 2x4 with heavy joist
    straps. The only thing correct about your comment is
    the additional metal staps used during installation.
    I don't like unistrut with 3/8 rod in an uneven wood
    framed attic. What do you attach the 3/8 rod to?
    You need to make hangers for the rods. I use 5/16 bolts
    through the roof rafters attach welded chain and then I bolts through Spruce 2X4's. That will hold 1200 lbs.
    The air handler is 98 lbs. Duct work perhaps 150 lbs.
    Thanks for the comments.

  4. #30

    maybe it's my eyes.....not the picture

    out here we have lag bolts that screw into wood joists with a special drill attachment....and allows the 3/8 rod to screw into the lag bolts......fairly high speed and fast.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    St Louis MO
    Posts
    1,382

    Re: Re: to me.......

    Originally posted by actnowhvac
    Originally posted by jimbellings
    sure all the foil faced duct wrap and metal jacket flex makes it look high speed.......but......this looks like a typical goodman install to me.....look at the plumbers tape holding up the 2 by 4's that are holding up the furnace.....a little unistrut and 3/8 rod would clean that up and make it look a bit more professional.......and the plumbers tape holding up the ductwork......i'm sure the instructions want a little more than half inch plumbers tape holding up that duct....i highly recommend 2 inch wide webbing straps....just a few things i noticed.....but the silver all looks good.

    I don't like unistrut with 3/8 rod in an uneven wood
    framed attic. What do you attach the 3/8 rod to?

    You use unistrut across the joices . Using lag bolts to attach it too the joices.

    Looks very nice and a gorilla can swing from it.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,131

    Re: maybe it's my eyes.....not the picture

    Originally posted by jimbellings
    out here we have lag bolts that screw into wood joists with a special drill attachment....and allows the 3/8 rod to screw into the lag bolts......fairly high speed and fast.
    I've used 3/8 rod and unistrut alot in commercial applications. I will look for this lag bolt because as
    you and wannamakeice both said, it is better.
    I used to shoot a stud into concrete and attach 3/8
    rod with unistrut.
    I'm also wondering if 3/8 rod transmits more vibration
    then chain and spruce trapeze. But I rarely have vibration
    problems. Thanks for the info.


  7. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    48
    Your work is neat and well done. I would have had my drain pan suspended directly under the air handler, kind of a two tier hanger using unistrut or l-iron, less chance of condensate drip splashing all over the attic and eventually rotting out wood. Keep up the good work.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    553

    Quality Install better than brand!

    If there is one thing I have learned on this site is that quality installation is more important than any brand name. A bad install will make any equipment suck. The co I work for installs Trane, and Trane IMO is one of the best brands. From the looks of Goodman's product it has made some significant improvements from its earlier day. The CU's look better to me than some higher end mfrs. equipment. If you are looking to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter, I don't think that these units would disappoint you. This is America and we all have the choice to pick out the brand that makes us happy. There are some homeowners who would rather spend $$$ on a Versace Suit then a Carrier or Trane A/C and others that would prefer a 19 SEER Trane and buy their Suit at the Men's Warehouse. Either suit will look good if tailored properly to your body, but then again if the tailor botches it up both could look bad. Once again if the installer puts pride into the install and follows acceptable guidelines either unit will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

  9. #35

    Thumbs up Re: Quality Install better than brand!

    Originally posted by andrewd33
    If there is one thing I have learned on this site is that quality installation is more important than any brand name. A bad install will make any equipment suck. The co I work for installs Trane, and Trane IMO is one of the best brands. From the looks of Goodman's product it has made some significant improvements from its earlier day. The CU's look better to me than some higher end mfrs. equipment. If you are looking to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter, I don't think that these units would disappoint you. This is America and we all have the choice to pick out the brand that makes us happy. There are some homeowners who would rather spend $$$ on a Versace Suit then a Carrier or Trane A/C and others that would prefer a 19 SEER Trane and buy their Suit at the Men's Warehouse. Either suit will look good if tailored properly to your body, but then again if the tailor botches it up both could look bad. Once again if the installer puts pride into the install and follows acceptable guidelines either unit will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
    Good point andrew!!!

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    48
    I agree about the quality of the installation. I have installed Ruud, Goodman,Carrier,Trane,American Standard, Payne,Bryant, to mention a few. They're all good and are seceptable to manufacturer defects once in a while. A bad install lessens the efficiency as well as te life of a piece of equipment.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up

    Well regardless of who made the box with the moter in it.
    Nice work.

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    84
    Looks good, I would have located the drier on the outside of the house. Driers do a better job in a cooler location, It can get pretty hot in the attic in the summertime when the unit is operating, so I've been told. The drier will be able to hold the moisture, (which there should'nt be any)when installed in a cooler location.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,131
    Originally posted by rac
    Looks good, I would have located the drier on the outside of the house. Driers do a better job in a cooler location, It can get pretty hot in the attic in the summertime when the unit is operating, so I've been told. The drier will be able to hold the moisture, (which there should'nt be any)when installed in a cooler location.
    Yeah thats a good point.
    I've also heard a filter/drier should be as close to the
    metering device as possible. ( perhaps because of
    previous contaminents which should not be a factor in
    a new install )
    Goodman does have a factory installed filter/drier
    in the condenser.
    Your comment is well taken.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event