Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger93rsl View Post
    I never cussed until I became an HVAC technician.

you and at least 25% of the techs in this field
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Moved to wall of shame where it belongs!!!!
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

supply and return water?

It's not just that the service panels are blocked. Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it looks to me like the supply water and return water are essentially piped together. How you would ever get water to flow through that condenser in any proper amount is beyond me. And as for the vertical section of pipe, just to the right of the water in/water out hookups, where is that going?

Nice 6" trap on the condensate line too, good luck with that not clogging up.

Someone should have slapped the inspector and the supervisor over the install crew!

That's why the piping all looks so new and shiny. Every time you change the filter or service it, you have to replace the piping. ha ha.

Besides the piping/electrical in front of the service panel, looks like the supply and return water lines pipe together. We use sch 40 pvc and insulated water lines down here in Texas.

Maybe they don't need to change the filter isn't that sitting to the left

Talking

Ha, it's the builders fault. Didn't give the installer room to put in the unit. Walls on both sides. So don't blame the installer. No Seriously, I had one call where the Geo was installed in a corner. The service panels were 8" from the water heater and softener. Had to remove the whole unit to change a TXV. FUN!

Thats a time and material job. And time ain't cheap.
    Waddya mean don't thaw out the frig with a knive?

Hi, I'm a noob here and in HVAC in general to be honest. I can sympathize with adamste81 in just having finished an introductory course so I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the picture. Thankfully you guys pointed out that the access panel was behind all the piping. Yikes! I guess I just couldn't believe that someone would do something like that. The question I am asking is why? What would prompt someone to hamstring themselves like that? If they get called back for service...

I'm glad to see very observant techs out there. Yes they are galvanized water lines going across the front that hook to flex lines on the right. These hook to PVC WITH NO SHUTOFFS,big2 so you have to shut down all of the AC units on the 4 floors below to take apart the water lines in front of the unit to service it. Obviously someone ordered the wrong unit and should have put in one with the piping coming in on the right side of the unit and the electrical out the left. Just a reminder, when we tell our parts guy what we need, to be sure we specify where the ports need to be on water sourced units. This was a replacement unit in a small closet with the electrical on the left and the water source and drains on the right. I've been on installs where I got units sent to me with the wrong setup, and it was my fault because I didn't specify exactly what I needed. That why I think all installers should be given the opportunity to work on one of these situations so they'll think twice before doing this type of work in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyray View Post
    Besides the piping/electrical in front of the service panel, looks like the supply and return water lines pipe together. We use sch 40 pvc and insulated water lines down here in Texas.
    We usually hook the stainless flex line directly to the unit which are connected to PVC by a Griswold fitting. The best part about this scenario is the flex line was too short to properly attach to the galvanized so they kinked the flex line to make it fit, and all the weight and pressure are pulling down on the 3/4" PVC nipple. Only took a week to start leaking.

Is it me, or will that never drain out the PVC pipe?
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast