Thread: r410a to r22

r410a to r22

What would it take to convert a r410a system to r22? Lets assume this is a brand new installed unit that requires 410a but has never been charged. Just curious.

Lets assume this is a brand new installed unit that requires 410a but has never been charged. Just curious.
    It would come pre-charged with 410a, even if it didn't, you still can't do it.

R410A and R22 use different oils, metering devices and compressors; the answer is no.

Out of curiousity why do you want to convert a brand new unit? If you desire R22, use an R22 unit.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

I build rental houses periodically (would rather stay with r22 and was thinking post phase out when parts were available but no complete r22 system. So could this be accomplished with a compressor and txv changeout or are other parts involved. This is all hypothetical.

I don't know if anyone has tried it; no decent tech in the right would be willing to do it for a customer.

(would rather stay with r22 and was thinking post phase out when parts were available but no complete r22 system
    Why? http://www51.honeywell.com/sm/410a/myths.html
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

You would be alot cheaper off either just swapping out the 410A and putting a R-22 in it's place or selling one and buying the R-22. It's too much work to make it worth having done and would in effect be a waste of your's and the contractors time to mess with. Besides I don't think this qualifys for a hypothetical question.

Easy cheap way.
    Buy a R22 unit.

By the time you did all the part change outs to make it work with R22. An R410A system would be cheaper.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?