+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WOW the Chevy VOLT will save us all!!!

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Franc and a couple of other countries have developed mature breeder reactor technology, and are reprocessing their own nuclear fuel, as well as fuel from the UK and other countries, back into new fuel.
    They are also able to process the byproducts from reprocessing the spent uranium fuel for standard reactors into nuclear fuel for newer style reactors, like pebble bed reactors, so there is little or no waste to deal with.

Unfortunately, the US rules are that fuel can be used once through only. Completely ignores the fact that there is much valuable fuel left if reprocessed AND recycling results is an enormous reduction in the waste size - like tons to beer can size. Much easier to secure and handle a beer can than tons of hot material. Like many things Americans have their heads in the sand and don't understand anything but emotion on important issues!

Never mind that those same byproducts can be, and are being, processed into nuclear fuel...
    Not to dump all the blame on Carter, although he deserves LOTS of blame, but none of the presidents that came after him reversed the executive order...
    Yea, Argonne National Lab had a breeder that used sodium to cool and metallic fuel rods that resulted in a reactor that went into safe equilibrium when cooling was completely shut off unlike water cooled that will blow the top off the reactor. ANL was also developing a local reprocessing capability that recycled the fuel back into the reactor. All got canceled.

I find it ironic that the same leftists in our country that idolize France's politics, almost universally completely ignore the fact that France is ranked #1 in the world, by far, for the percentage of their electrical power is from nuclear, 76.2%.
    Japan isn't far behind them.

Post Likes
    If you really want to get the efficieny up on internal combustion engines, get rid of the radiator/cooling system.

running a heat engine will a refrigeration system built into it isn't all that efficient. then, throw in some hybrid tech to top things off.

How much gov money has gome into very high temperature steel, or other material for an engine that can run at over several thousand deg w/o melting and is strong enough?

Its rather deceitful to only show gas mileage and hide the other fuel costs to run the volt.(plenty of money for that sort of tech)
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    If you really want to get the efficieny up on internal combustion engines, get rid of the radiator/cooling system.
    Smokey Yunick was working on that technology when he passed away. I wonder if anything has happened with it since then.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Post Likes
    I have a 1969 Mustang with a 302 (V8) in it getting 32-37 mpg. Makes you wonder what our cars should be able to do.

With that said, I do like the idea of electric cars, but they have a long way to go.

BTW I have to try to find the article but they have been proven to be worse for the environment based off production, waste batteries, production of electricity etc.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
    I have a 1969 Mustang with a 302 (V8) in it getting 32-37 mpg. Makes you wonder what our cars should be able to do.
    Would like to know how you did that. My 1966 Buick Special with 340 and 3-speed stick, no AC got like 14 on high test!

Quote Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post

BTW I have to try to find the article but they have been proven to be worse for the environment based off production, waste batteries, production of electricity etc.
    This is the point that all energy junkies either don't understand or deceptively avoid on many technologies. I'm all for alternatives but PLEASE tell us the full truth!

How about (all quotes from reasonable books on energy): It takes more energy to produce ethanol than you get back AND it takes 170 gallons of water/gallon of corn ethanol, 900 gallons of water/gallon of biodiesel from soybeans. Or We discard 179,000 tons of batteries annually that contain toxic heavy metals. Or maybe a nuclear power plant's carbon dioxide emissions throughout its life-cycle and while producing electricity are about the same as those of wind power.

Post Likes
    I'd like to know how much coal you have to burn to get the first 40 miles travel on a volt, or any elec car, better yet in equivalent gallons of gas/mile. apples to apples
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    people will buy gas until its ten dollars a gallon

Post Likes
    Yes, I agree completly, if the technology was developed to use all the energy ina gallon of gas that would be a far better goal than electric hybrid technology.

Post Likes
    Dont worry all I'm working on a Mr. Fusion.

You should see how efficient an a/c system becomes when you replace all of your run capacitors, with my new flux capacitor.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes
    ya thats the answer ....... go anything but oil we need to buy from the arabs and other countries.

Then we will end up bailing them out like the banks, auto makers , unions, housing market, wall street , and a lot of other FOOLS that got themselves in this mess.

You think these politions are not stupid enough to be giving out tarp to all the terrorists selling us OIL at over blown prices ????????

Hell ya end the war on terrorists and they will be starting a TARP program to suport them for being out of business.

My answer is just like clunkers for cash. More of a fools for tools. For every fool you turn in we give you tools that you need to start a business that contributes to the econmy. ( enough free lunches and welfare )

The LESS fools that are looking for free lunches the better off this country will be.

First we start with congress ........... that trade will supply enough tools to get the country back to where it was before the economy went bad.

After that we will work tools to put this country back ........ ON TOP WHERE IT SHOULD BE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in