Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WOW the Chevy VOLT will save us all!!!

So who else thinks this is simply another version of the "edenpure". When will people realize nothing is free.

I would LOVE to see actual date on the KWH needed per mile, then compare the cost vs gasoline.I'm betting its dang close to the same. In the long run, I'm thinking it is more expensive to drive an electric car.

Just kinda annoyed by crap like this today, not sure why. Actually I've been pissed since Brett Favre got me all excited saying he was out next QB then bailed
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

The electrical cost in Pa. is going to rise an estimated 30-40% the first day fo next year!

These cars may do good in parts of the US where it is always hot and the battery won't loose its charge.

I can't see them being too efficient here in the Canada and the northern US in the winter and its -40. Even with the block heaters plugged in batterys have a hard time turning over some vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post
    So who else thinks this is simply another version of the "edenpure". When will people realize nothing is free.

I would LOVE to see actual date on the KWH needed per mile, then compare the cost vs gasoline.I'm betting its dang close to the same. In the long run, I'm thinking it is more expensive to drive an electric car.

Just kinda annoyed by crap like this today, not sure why. Actually I've been pissed since Brett Favre got me all excited saying he was out next QB then bailed
    I know people from Bimidji. The Worths and Kindwalls. You know them? Actually, they live in SC now.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

No the name does not ring a bell, but then again Im a transplant from North Dakota, and I lived in Washington State for half my life as well. Yeah I hadnt even thought about winter and these electric cars, thats another can o' worms right there...
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

My wife the liberal greenie wants either one of those or a Prius..........over my dead body!

Chevy said that there are some buggs yet. The battery cells being one of the. But it is a move in the right direction.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    My wife the liberal greenie wants either one of those or a Prius..........over my dead body!
    when they pry your cold dead fingers from the steering wheel of your lincoln!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    when they pry your cold dead fingers from the steering wheel of your lincoln!

That's right..........I love my Lincoln, it's an American car!

I do think it was built in Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post

It actually works out to give the electric car a distinct advantage in cost to operate because they are much more mechanically efficient. Normal cars are very thermodynamically and mechanically inefficient.

It has been a while since I looked at it, but when the Tesla roadster first came out they had some figures on the cost per mile. It is in the range of 3 to 5 cents per mile.

I'm all for electric vehicles, I'm especially impressed with what Tesla motors has done with the roadster, and with the new 7 passenger car they will have for sale in 2011. The roadster has a range of up to 244 miles, less if you actually use its 3.9 second 0-60 capability much. The new 7 passenger car will have a range of up to 300 miles, depending on the battery size option selected.
    Their cars are high performance and/or luxury cars though. $100k+ for the roadster, $60k+ for the 7 passenger car.
    I wish they would come out with a regular people car...

The problem with pure electric and plug in hybrid cars is that we don't have the infrastructure for them.
    Because of Americas ridiculously unreasonable fear of nuclear power, and failure to pay anything but lip service to maintaining and upgrading the power grid nationwide, we just don't have enough electricity, or the capability to transmit it, for electric vehicles to become significant presence in the urban areas they are ideally suited to.

We need to do many things to become more energy independent, nuclear power and electric vehicles are very important parts of the equation.
    IMO, any proposed solution that doesn't feature both is just pissing into the wind.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    That's right..........I love my Lincoln, it's an American car!

I do think it was built in Mexico!
    i love my town car too, i don't know where it was built though.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It actually works out to give the electric car a distinct advantage in cost to operate because they are much more mechanically efficient. Normal cars are very thermodynamically and mechanically inefficient.

It has been a while since I looked at it, but when the Tesla roadster first came out they had some figures on the cost per mile. It is in the range of 3 to 5 cents per mile.

I'm all for electric vehicles, I'm especially impressed with what Tesla motors has done with the roadster, and with the new 7 passenger car they will have for sale in 2011. The roadster has a range of up to 244 miles, less if you actually use its 3.9 second 0-60 capability much. The new 7 passenger car will have a range of up to 300 miles, depending on the battery size option selected.
    Their cars are high performance and/or luxury cars though. $100k+ for the roadster, $60k+ for the 7 passenger car.
    I wish they would come out with a regular people car...

The problem with pure electric and plug in hybrid cars is that we don't have the infrastructure for them.
    Because of Americas ridiculously unreasonable fear of nuclear power, and failure to pay anything but lip service to maintaining and upgrading the power grid nationwide, we just don't have enough electricity, or the capability to transmit it, for electric vehicles to become significant presence in the urban areas they are ideally suited to.

We need to do many things to become more energy independent, nuclear power and electric vehicles are very important parts of the equation.
    IMO, any proposed solution that doesn't feature both is just pissing into the wind.
    i would like to see diesel/electric cars and trucks. diesels will run on petroleum, lng,lpg, bio fuels etc.... old, but proven technology, especially when paired with electric.

Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    i love my town car too, i don't know where it was built though.

LOL.............after driving an E-350 all day a Lincoln is bliss!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast