How do you know if valves are leaking on compressor?

How do you know if valves are leaking on compressor?

I have an older Lennox 5 ton A/C. For the last few years, I've had to replace the refrigerant about 2-3 times per year-leak in coils. It has always worked. Most recently, it was replaced, but now the A/C only cools at night. Somebody explained to me that this is because the valves on the compressor are leaking and not allowing enough refrigerant to circulate-that instead its mostly staying w/n the compressor. Does this make sense? Also, I was told that even though its an older unit, the most likely cause is that too much refrigerant was put last time and caused a leak in the valves (or the seals?). Does that make sense??

Can't help you on checking the compressor. Are you sure the leak is in the coils? One time after I found a leak at the filter-drier connection the homeowner told me the last guy said the condenser coils had a leak a would need to replace entire unit. I think the money spent to add refrigerant 2-3 times a year for the last few years is money down the drain. Better to get the leak fixed even if it means buying a new unit.

Overcharging can cause damage.

But, we don't know if it was overcharged.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

illegal top ups

Provided that nothing else is wrong with the system, high suction line and low liquid line pressure indicates that the compressor isn't functioning efficiently.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    illegal top ups
    As far as I know it's legal (but not right) to top up small systems.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by James G View Post
    illegal top ups

Whats an illegal top up?????
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?