+ Reply to Thread

Thread: McQuay oil filter change

Post Likes

Hmm McQuay oil filter change

Working on a McQuay centrifugal M# CE063JAP18RDU STYLE# 068368201F ... The oil filter housing seems to be molded into the compressor shell Ther are only two lines leading into the housing ...I close both ,also close both the lines leading from the oil tank and cooler. loosen the oil shell cover and as expected the oil still under pressure foams out. The limited info I can find says the chiller contains a check valve internal to the filter and it should stop the oil foaming and eventually the pressure wil decrease to the point where I can remove the filter. My problem the oil foams out for over ten min.. Anyone ever have the "check valve" fail... Is this normal and is that filter housing open to the compressor and or impeller??

Post Likes
    Anyone ever have the "check valve" fail... YUP

Is this normal ??? NOPE

is that filter housing open to the compressor and or impeller? NOPE

Seeing as this is your first posting, If you want any more help than that, your gonna have to tell us about your self..This is an open forum and any body can get on here and ask for information. We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt or worse.
    "Wheel" mechanics work on "Wheel" chillers

Post Likes
    Anyone have more information on this thread? I'm having the same issue.

Post Likes
    Isolate, hope cv holds, bleed off, change. Go home!!!
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks absrbrtek.

Post Likes
    i'm curious why you're changing the filter

Post Likes
    winter work routine maint.

Post Likes
    McQuay does not recommend regular oil filter or oil changes unless an oil analysis shows reason to. Make sure the compressor casting heaters are working, there shouldn't be much refrigerant in there to cause foaming if the casting is up to temp.

Post Likes
    Agree, McJunk does not recommend filter changes. Oil analysis is a joke on these. I had one full of water, sample came back as new oil. Had 1 with a ground down impeller, oil came back great. Unless you've got high or low speed wear, the way the sealed oil system is setup, you can get some false reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by acrefertech View Post
    McQuay does not recommend regular oil filter or oil changes unless an oil analysis shows reason to. Make sure the compressor casting heaters are working, there shouldn't be much refrigerant in there to cause foaming if the casting is up to temp.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

10. Likes RichardL liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's crazy! I would have to question either how the sample was taken, or even the quality of the lab. We've had to take multiple samples on the same machine because the one of the labs would always come back with inconclusive results.

Post Likes
    Been down that road too. Your analysis is only as good, as the lab that analyzes it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by baldie View Post
    Working on a McQuay centrifugal M# CE063JAP18RDU STYLE# 068368201F ... The oil filter housing seems to be molded into the compressor shell Ther are only two lines leading into the housing ...I close both ,also close both the lines leading from the oil tank and cooler. loosen the oil shell cover and as expected the oil still under pressure foams out. The limited info I can find says the chiller contains a check valve internal to the filter and it should stop the oil foaming and eventually the pressure wil decrease to the point where I can remove the filter. My problem the oil foams out for over ten min.. Anyone ever have the "check valve" fail... Is this normal and is that filter housing open to the compressor and or impeller??
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MCQ.jpg  

14. Likes polarman360 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Or tech that takes it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    Agree, McJunk does not recommend filter changes. Oil analysis is a joke on these. I had one full of water, sample came back as new oil. Had 1 with a ground down impeller, oil came back great. Unless you've got high or low speed wear, the way the sealed oil system is setup, you can get some false reading.
    Who's your lab?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in