Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    You might need to cut some steel someday.
    Yeah I am kind of leaning that way too. Don't have a lot of money to throw around righ now. I always seem to break something on my tractor and have to cut a chunk of steel to fix it. I have been at work all weekend, 12hr cateye and didn't get to the computer. I am in the middle of putting in a straight A/C 3ton colman for a fellow that he bought used. Got the coil in Friday. You have to know this guy, he wants to spend little to no money on it. Someone did a really good job on his duct work. After setting the coil I wanted to have a friend of mine make another transition for him but he didn't want to spend the money so he helped me cut down the existing duct.
    I got it in there and it looks fine just does not have all the nice connections that it originally did.
    While at R.E. Micheals I was looking at the torch sets and the salesman asked me which one I wanted. I told him I was right now setting a 3ton R-22 unit and he told me to just use 6% soft solder and Mapp gas. I didnn't think this was a good idea but he said it will work. I have always seen people use the 15% sil-foss.
    I think I will borrow a air/acet torch from the instructor that gave me tha EPA exam.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Starflite3 View Post
    Yeah I am kind of leaning that way too. Don't have a lot of money to throw around righ now. I always seem to break something on my tractor and have to cut a chunk of steel to fix it. I have been at work all weekend, 12hr cateye and didn't get to the computer. I am in the middle of putting in a straight A/C 3ton colman for a fellow that he bought used. Got the coil in Friday. You have to know this guy, he wants to spend little to no money on it. Someone did a really good job on his duct work. After setting the coil I wanted to have a friend of mine make another transition for him but he didn't want to spend the money so he helped me cut down the existing duct.
    I got it in there and it looks fine just does not have all the nice connections that it originally did.
    While at R.E. Micheals I was looking at the torch sets and the salesman asked me which one I wanted. I told him I was right now setting a 3ton R-22 unit and he told me to just use 6% soft solder and Mapp gas. I didnn't think this was a good idea but he said it will work. I have always seen people use the 15% sil-foss.
    I think I will borrow a air/acet torch from the instructor that gave me tha EPA exam.
    Do not braze with mapp gas. Whether using 6% or 15%, use either turbo-torch air-acetylene system or oxy-actylene. As mentioned previously on this thread, if you can only afford one, get the oxy-acetylene. Turbos are nice and light, but you cannot get by with only that...

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    oxy/acetylene with a rose bud tip.In and out fast.
    Do you wear a mask when welding?

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech79 View Post
    When welding, yes.

When brazing or soldering, no need, really.

Quote Originally Posted by hvactech79 View Post
    Mask,mask I don't need no stinking mask.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Ox-Acetylene?

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Mask,mask I don't need no stinking mask.
    I use the Turbo for soft silver (mostly water lines). For gas lines, most all local codes require hard silver brazing. For this and anything bigger than 1/2 inch, an ocy-acetylene is easier and faster. Try a turbo torch on a cold, breezy morning on a rooftop working on a 1 1/8 inch line! Good luck! I pay the extra money and use 15% silver rods. I use 45% silver on steel-to-copper with flux. Of course, this depends if you know HOW to braise. Just look at some units that have been installed sometime. Lots of piss-poor braising that lead to lots of refrigerant leaks.

why would someone buy a torch, employer should provide this

i bought both my oxy/acet and turbo torch. what size tanks do you use for the oxy/acty
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I use the smaller tank for the turbo, same size as the oxy kit. Johnstone sells an adapter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12