Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

oxy/acet or turbo

I need to buy a soldering torch and was wondering what you guys perfer.
    oxy/acet or the air/acet style.
    I have used the air/acet and they are ok, just so freaking loud.

Twilli says oxy ac
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I can use oxy/acet just fine, but i have been using a turbo torch for the last 20+ years. I have never had a problem. Guess it boils down to what you prefer.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

I prefer oxy/acetylene, myself. Turbo torch is ok for soft soldering, but so slow for brazing anything bigger than 7/8". JMHO

I prefer a turbo, but if I only had one [on a tool budget] I would get the ox acet rig. It can do more than a turbo.

oxy/acetylene with a rose bud tip.In and out fast.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

I like the speed of oxy/acet, but hard to carry around. I love my Turbo it's lite, one tank. I took an old lunch box ( Igloo playtime ) and cut a notch out of lid my tank stands up in it and all my brazing supplies and tube cutters, swaging punches, flux, etc is in it and handy.

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    oxy/acetylene with a rose bud tip.In and out fast.
    Yep, and you can have a cutting torch too. I have had several employers REQUIRE an ox/acet rig, although I usually haul the turbo up on the roof.

I have 2 oxy-acetylene rigs in the truck. A small one for everyday work, and a big one, completely disassembled, for the occasional BIG stuff.

I use both. On calls where the customer is crowding in & staring over your shoulder every second, NOTHING beats a Turbo! The only problem is not letting them see you laugh as they cut a trail.

I use both; trained on oxy/acet. I resisted the turbo for a long time, but it does have some good points. Above 7/8", near large service valves, TX's, and in tight areas, I use oxy/acet.

I have Oxy/Acet and an old Smith plumbers torch (Air/Acet) for soft solder.

I have used Turbos but.....now that I have to wear hearing aids, (partly due to Turbos) I can't stand to be around them. They really hurt my ears now !

I was never fond of them but they do work well on large (1-5/8 and bigger) tubing. I always had problems getting stuff Too hot ! I started to many things on fire with the big tips when I tried to Braze so I will stick with my Oxy/Acet rig, I'm used to it.

Hey, try both types and pick the one you like best. It's gonna be Your torch not mine
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

I think when guys are starting out they will get better results on small stuff with a Turbo or air/accet because often with oxy/acet they will get the joint too hot and boil the silver causing pin holes. They will still need an oxy/accet for close quarters and where you don't want things to heat up too much.
    I need both. You might need to cut some steel someday.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast