+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a Legacy notebook with a native serial port

Post Likes

I need a Legacy notebook with a native serial port

Can anyone give me a model number to a current Legacy notebook with a native serial port built into it that can run XP PRO?
    Thanks much.

Post Likes
    Copied from the other thread, didn't see this one. We only use XP pro as well.

We use Dell Latitude D630's, they have a serial port. This is a thin lightweight and powerful machine but not ruggedized and battery life isn't that great unless you get the second battery. I don't have the second battery and I have a second hard drive in it sucking things down but I still get around 2+ hours out of it.

Our field people all use some soft of toughbook. I know our IT department loves them because they almost never come back broken (according to them). I know they tried out about six models though, I don't know what they settled on but some have a serial port. They did get tons of complaints about small screens and tiny keyboards, think they settled on one of the larger ones because of it.

A USB-232 adapter works perfectly fine too, long as you have the intelligence to deal with the additional piece of hardware and COM port changing occasionally (not all our techs do, just saying).

Post Likes
    www.tigerdirect.com
    Dell Latitudes running XP pro with serial port.

Post Likes

Serial port laptops

We use Toshiba Tecra A8 and now A9's, you need to do your home work on the model/website, etc to double check for the 9-pin serial comm port.

They are reasonably suitable for our business, with spill-proof keyboards, anti-jar hard drives, and a few other tough add-ons.

They are expensive compared to standard laptops, but none of the messing with USB to serial interfaces, which work with some products and some software saves hours and so money in the long run.

Most of them come with backgradable Vista to XP - not sure if this is Pro version?

Post Likes
    Dell Latitudes.... but be advised that Dell currently does not have a Laptop with a serial port AND an internal wireless Internet card... both of which I need. I don't want an external wireless because I don't want that thing sticking out off of my motherboard while the Laptop is powered up on my front seat.

I used a Latitude D820 but I'm about to replace it
    HotRod

Controls..some days your a hero, some days your a zero. Direct acting since 1992.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post
    Dell Latitudes.... but be advised that Dell currently does not have a Laptop with a serial port AND an internal wireless Internet card... both of which I need. I don't want an external wireless because I don't want that thing sticking out off of my motherboard while the Laptop is powered up on my front seat.

Ah, we get around that by going bluetooth to our blackberry's for the mobile internet. Cuts down on the service plans too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod53 View Post

I don't know about currently, but I use a D630 with internal wireless and a serial port, and it can also have bluetooth. Overall an OK machine, small screen but light enough to carry around.

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    I think I am going to buy an D820 from Ebay. They have some Corp leasebacks that still have a couple of years of warranty. I looked at the Techras but have not had good luck with 2 Toshibas in the past. The drive that ground up last week in my Dell was a Toshiba too.
    Thanks Much for the help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Can anyone give me a model number to a current Legacy notebook with a native serial port built into it that can run XP PRO?
    Thanks much.
    JR, I have purchased both new DELL D520's with the XP-Pro OS and bought them refurb (D610) from tigerdirect with excellent luck on both.

Shoot me an email and I can give you a contact for a Tigerdirect sort of subdivision person that is really anxious to help/sell you stuff.

I paid under 400 bucks for the last refurb I got. 1 warning on the refurbs, Be careful if you install SP3. It can give you a minor headach but the Dell support site will help get it worked out.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    We got away from the serial port, what are you running that needs it and can't do with a virtual serial port ?

Post Likes
    I just got a Dell Latitude E6500. No serial built-in, but has everything else. We got a legacy port adapter. It's not a USB dongle, but a component that snaps on to the bottom of the laptop utilizing the docking port. It treats it as if it was built-in; serial, parallel, PS2, yada yada. Anyway, that legacy adapter lets you have the best of both worlds. If you want a part number let me know and I'll get it from my IT guy.
    Nobody knows it ALL. That's why we share.

Post Likes
    Panasonic Toughbooks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jgraham View Post
    I just got a Dell Latitude E6500. No serial built-in, but has everything else. We got a legacy port adapter. It's not a USB dongle, but a component that snaps on to the bottom of the laptop utilizing the docking port. It treats it as if it was built-in; serial, parallel, PS2, yada yada. Anyway, that legacy adapter lets you have the best of both worlds. If you want a part number let me know and I'll get it from my IT guy.
    How big is that thing, is it the size of a docking station or is this some compact add on that hugs the side of the notebook?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    How big is that thing, is it the size of a docking station or is this some compact add on that hugs the side of the notebook?
    It snaps on to the bottom of the PC. Doesn't stick out the sides or back at all. It looks bigger in the pic than it really is, also this is attached to a smaller E6400 I have temporarily.
    Nobody knows it ALL. That's why we share.

Post Likes
    It's called the E-Legacy Extender

See this thread on ideastorm.com

Post Likes

$4500 laptop

Quote Originally Posted by simsd View Post
    Panasonic Toughbooks.
    Dell or Panasonic,The toughbooks look like i could pack em up onto the roof,but do I really need to at 5k?
    "I aint going to spit on 30 years of my life" Monte Walsh

Post Likes
    I ended up buying a Dell D820 that was sold in '07 and still has another year of warrranty for $575.00. It has about $450.00 of legal software on it.

I did not go with the Techra or Toughbook due to the possibility of someone stealing it from my company PU truck while parked at a secluded boatramp, which it is frequently.

The main issue with needing a true Native serial port is some of the VFD software that was designed to look for a fixed IRQ/memory location for the com port. The USB to serial emulators can most of the time be manipulated manually to get the right assignments but it takes time to do when often in Florida we are on a rooftop/penthose/tower trying to beat the thunderstorms.

I had to disasemble my old Dell twice to dry out the keyboard membranes due to being caught in the rain.

Guys, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    <snip>
    The main issue with needing a true Native serial port is some of the VFD software that was designed to look for a fixed IRQ/memory location for the com port.

The USB to serial emulators can most of the time be manipulated manually to get the right assignments
    <snip>
    Good day JRinJax,

You will not find any USB based serial ports that can truly emulate hardware ports...as they do not have any physical hardware mapped into the Serial Port's address space. USB Serial ports are virtual ports and have drivers that "trap" or intercept calls to COM ports (i.e. COM1, COM2, etc). Programs/applications that try to interact directly to hardware of the COM ports (like in the 'ol days) will not work with USB based serial ports.

Windows Programs/applications that are written with modern methodologies communicate through layers of abstraction provided by the Operating System. Basically, they talk to the Serial port through the O/S (and associated USB drivers). Thus removing the need for the program/app to know all of intricate and computer specific data of the serial port (hardware address, IRQ line, etc). If the program/app was written this way, then interaction with a USB (or Ethernet, etc) type of serial port will function correctly.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes
    Thanks Sam,
    This is what I have run into in the past. I appreciate now knowing the Techs behind the issue. That is why I am going to a Hardware mapped native serial port.

Post Likes
    We use the Edgeport/1 usb to serial adapter from Digi. It comes with a setup disk and will permanatly assign the com port you want.
    If I plugin the adater to any usb port on my laptop it automatically is assigned to com port 1. works with all the legacy programs that I run.

http://store.digi.com/index.cfm?fuse...Product_ID=124

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in