+ Reply to Thread

Thread: charging liquid

Post Likes

charging liquid

Trane RTAA 200ton just short of charge 50 lbs. I charged in vapor just like the manual says. Used heat gun to boost pressure on the tank,but still slow. Now the question, can I trickle in liquid without doing damage to the screw compressor? I did fix the leak, the relief valve blew because of 3 fan failures.

Post Likes
    The factory charge on those units are wrong. If you weighed the charge and are 50 lbs shy of the nameplate you should be good. Those units operate the best when sucooling is 15 degrees.

Post Likes
    You should have a service valve at the outlet of EXV, or inlet to evap. Feel free to dump liquid in there as fast as you like.

You can charge liquid at the suction service valve also, using common sense. Don't hook up a 125# cylinder with a 3/8 hose and run full open.
    Although it may take it, I wouldn't try it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post
    You should have a service valve at the outlet of EXV, or inlet to evap. Feel free to dump liquid in there as fast as you like.

You can charge liquid at the suction service valve also, using common sense. Don't hook up a 125# cylinder with a 3/8 hose and run full open.
    I was going to charge at the valves after the exv but they were so rusted that I figured I'd be asking for trouble if I'd even touch them with a wrench. I just vapor charged since I had two other chillers down. Thanks for the info.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by always looking View Post
    The factory charge on those units are wrong. If you weighed the charge and are 50 lbs shy of the nameplate you should be good. Those units operate the best when sucooling is 15 degrees.
    I don't remember the 200 being a problem. I thought it was only 240 and up and only mfg before June '96. In those cases the second circuit was 100tons and the charge should be 130lbs R-22. Nameplate said 180lbs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post

if you pull the cores out it will go faster...they can take it easy.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by blewbyu2 View Post
    I was going to charge at the valves after the exv but they were so rusted that I figured I'd be asking for trouble if I'd even touch them with a wrench. I just vapor charged since I had two other chillers down. Thanks for the info.
    Back up wrenches come in handy there, I'd be careful charging there easy overcharge, as long as you don't do what DriveWizard said you'll be alright.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Post Likes

Hmm

When ever a unit is large enough and I don't want to load liquid I break out the recovery machine and pull vapor out of the jug and into the unit makes charging much faster! Or you could use cap tube charger eh they suck!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    When ever a unit is large enough and I don't want to load liquid I break out the recovery machine and pull vapor out of the jug and into the unit makes charging much faster! Or you could use cap tube charger eh they suck!
    Try that on an RTAA and you'll be there a week. Would work well on resi and small commercial...completely different animal.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Post Likes
    assuming we are talking about a large unit, why pump vapor? why not pump in liquid? pumps much faster.

Post Likes

Hmm

Do you know what happends when you dump liquid refrigerant into a chiller barrel that has a vac? OUCH! So the first 30-50psi better be vapor.

Post Likes
    Does a recovery machine condense vapor into liquid?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

It depends on how much refrigerant you are moving normally no, recovery machine will knock if it's valves are open all of the way if you start to move liquid. The recovery machine pulls vapor from the top of the recovery cylinder and puts it back into the chiller. Think push pull without the pull.

Post Likes
    Do you know what happends when you dump liquid refrigerant into a chiller barrel that has a vac? OUCH! So the first 30-50psi better be vapor.
    and if you're dealing with r11,113,114,123 then what? eek 2

Post Likes

Talking

Eh low pressure ummmmmm boiler or something you guys use right? I donno........... Can you educate us?

Wait a min dry ice right........ Can't remember...

Post Likes
    need an address to emails or get to pro for pm.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in