Thread: charging liquid

Hybrid View

charging liquid

Trane RTAA 200ton just short of charge 50 lbs. I charged in vapor just like the manual says. Used heat gun to boost pressure on the tank,but still slow. Now the question, can I trickle in liquid without doing damage to the screw compressor? I did fix the leak, the relief valve blew because of 3 fan failures.

The factory charge on those units are wrong. If you weighed the charge and are 50 lbs shy of the nameplate you should be good. Those units operate the best when sucooling is 15 degrees.

You should have a service valve at the outlet of EXV, or inlet to evap. Feel free to dump liquid in there as fast as you like.

You can charge liquid at the suction service valve also, using common sense. Don't hook up a 125# cylinder with a 3/8 hose and run full open.
    Although it may take it, I wouldn't try it.

Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post
    You should have a service valve at the outlet of EXV, or inlet to evap. Feel free to dump liquid in there as fast as you like.

You can charge liquid at the suction service valve also, using common sense. Don't hook up a 125# cylinder with a 3/8 hose and run full open.
    I was going to charge at the valves after the exv but they were so rusted that I figured I'd be asking for trouble if I'd even touch them with a wrench. I just vapor charged since I had two other chillers down. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by blewbyu2 View Post
    I was going to charge at the valves after the exv but they were so rusted that I figured I'd be asking for trouble if I'd even touch them with a wrench. I just vapor charged since I had two other chillers down. Thanks for the info.
    Back up wrenches come in handy there, I'd be careful charging there easy overcharge, as long as you don't do what DriveWizard said you'll be alright.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Hmm

When ever a unit is large enough and I don't want to load liquid I break out the recovery machine and pull vapor out of the jug and into the unit makes charging much faster! Or you could use cap tube charger eh they suck!

Quote Originally Posted by drivewizard View Post

if you pull the cores out it will go faster...they can take it easy.
    "Mother" is the name for God on the lips and hearts of children....The Crow

Quote Originally Posted by always looking View Post
    The factory charge on those units are wrong. If you weighed the charge and are 50 lbs shy of the nameplate you should be good. Those units operate the best when sucooling is 15 degrees.
    I don't remember the 200 being a problem. I thought it was only 240 and up and only mfg before June '96. In those cases the second circuit was 100tons and the charge should be 130lbs R-22. Nameplate said 180lbs.

need an address to emails or get to pro for pm.